none
Error: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

Question

• I have a Windows 2008 Enterprise (not R2) 64-bit server running as a member server of a domain.  It is used for Terminal Services for diskless workstations.  It also has a Enterprise Root CA running on it.  The following Administrative Tools all generate this error (An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist) when loading:  Certificate Authority, File Serv Resource Mgr, Local Sec Pol, Print Mgmt, Server Mgr, Share and Stor Mgmt, Windows Server Backup.  The other tools work fine, as does each of the above if I open MMC.EXE and then add/remove the snap-in.  I'm not sure when this happened exactly, but the only change I've made is to uninstall certificate services to delete a subCA and reinstall as a root CA.  Any help would be appreciated.

Paul T

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to my research, this error may be caused by corrupt files. Please open a Command Prompt and navigate to %WINDIR%\System32 and re-register the required DLL files using the following command:

for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

Please update the results.

Thanks.

Nina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Paulie999 Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:23 PM
    Monday, September 05, 2011 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my research, this error may be caused by corrupt files. Please open a Command Prompt and navigate to %WINDIR%\System32 and re-register the required DLL files using the following command:

for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

Please update the results.

Thanks.

Nina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Paulie999 Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:23 PM
    Monday, September 05, 2011 8:11 AM
  • That worked perfectly!  All fixed.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Nina

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:52 AM
  • I had the same problem and it fixed for me as well.. thanks.
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:52 AM
  • Awesome!

Thanks a lot buddy!!

Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Hi,

this is raghu...

Even Im facing the same problem in my 2008 server R2 SP1. As Im using this server for Quadra ERP package.

Can u please explain the process in Step by Step process. Im not able to apply your command. Please help me in getting this.

with regards,

raghu

Monday, April 23, 2012 12:48 PM
  • 

Hi Nina... My server is windows 2008 RS... I am facing above error while trying to open computer -->  manage option. 

I tried above given command to re-register the DLL file... but no results... could you please let me know if have any other idea ???

Regards

Divakar

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Hi Nina,

I am sorry... And Thank you.  After executing your steps with administrator credentials... the issue solved....!!!

Regards

Divakar

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

Greetings!

Thanks for the information, it works..

Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:23 AM
  • fantastic, thanks a million

D-B-S

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Great!

Thanks a lot

JP.

Friday, August 23, 2013 9:30 PM
  • I wanted to share my experience because i hope it might help someone else down the road. My situation: after applying (and then later unapplying) a profile manager tool from Citrix to local administrators, me and another domain admin were getting this error from our profile but only while trying to launch the Citrix AppCenter MMC. It was the only MMC affected. i tried applying this steps here and no help. What to do is to completely delete your roaming profile, the local profile on the server having this issue and anywhere else. Then login to server with new default user profile and recreate your user profile. You could also simply rename any profiles you have with .bak so you could copy/paste your data to new profile. YMMV. Good luck!

Bill D

none

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:27 PM