none
What hardware needed

Question

• Dear Experts,

I am in the process of requesting for new hardware for my failover cluster which I am using as a fileserver, what I need to know is what kind of hardware do I require, the processors type, how many cores, the amount of RAM needed...etc, and based on what do I create that, I will be using windows server 2008 R2, and the number of concurrent connections that I would have would be up to 500 connections.

Regards, Ahmad

Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:20 AM

All replies

• Dear Experts,

I am in the process of requesting for new hardware for my failover cluster which I am using as a fileserver, what I need to know is what kind of hardware do I require, the processors type, how many cores, the amount of RAM needed...etc, and based on what do I create that, I will be using windows server 2008 R2, and the number of concurrent connections that I would have would be up to 500 connections.

Regards, Ahmad

You should probably start with finding out ordinary load and calculating IOPS and MBPS to build a disk subsystem for your server. That's way more important for your scenario then CPU (Quad core single socket for every cluster node should be fine) and RAM (cheap these days so throw in as much as you can, something like 16GB per node should be fine as well). 

-nismo

Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Thanks for replying nismo,

I have a server with : 

Intel® Xeon® Processor 7030 (2M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) (2 processors) for each node, my current memory installed is 4GB, I should be considering adding more memory to it,another 12 GB for each node.

But I kinda wanted to know if there is a way of calculating this, based on number of users, type of files,size of the storage...etc, so is there any method for calculating that?

Regards, Ahmad

Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:43 AM
  • Hi Ahmad,

A general answer is "depends". As you currently have a server, monitor the performance with tools like Performance Monitor, Resource Monitor etc to check the bottleneck of the system.

Also when you trying to get a new server, you can simply confirm with the hardware provider about the exact parameter needed for choosing a new server.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:05 AM
  • Dear Shaon,

I am not generally speaking, I have certain information that should be enough to determine what sort of hardware I need, forget about monitoring my current setup, I am asking so that me and other people can know, how to chose my hardware of a fileserver, asking the provider would be ok, but what if i already have other servers that might cover my needs and I can't confirm that because I don't know what is needed.

I need to be able to calculate my needs myself, I simply want to know the way the provider will use to tell me my need :)

Thanks

Regards, Ahmad

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:10 AM