none
KMS Client Activation Error 0xC004F074 (Windows 8)

Question

• I am trying to Activate Windows 8 Pro with a KMS server and am getting error 0xC004F074.

My KMS server is a 2008 enterprise server with SP2 installed.

I have installed the required patch 2757817 from the site below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2757817

After installing the patch, I installed a Windows Server 2012 Class C KMS key (Windows Server 2012 Standard) using slmgr /ipk,  I then did a slmgr /ato (and was able to activate the KMS server license on the server).

it appears that all older OS versions (Windows 7 Server 2008 etc) are still activating without a issue. But my windows 8 clients will not activate. it's important to note though that my "Failed requests" (from slmgr /dli) increment every time I test a windows 8 activation. This tells me that my clients are talking to the KMS server...

I have also done an nslookup -type=srv _vlmcs._tcp and it shows the correct KMS server...

Any ideas on what I can do?

Yeah Buddy!

Monday, March 11, 2013 6:03 PM

Answers

• The server reboot fixed it. working now. thanks everyone.

Yeah Buddy!

• Marked as answer by Jay.lambert Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:03 PM
    • Edited by Jay.lambert Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:06 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

On the KMS host machine from an elevated CMD prompt, run cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv and report back with the output

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Hello,

There are multiple steps there can and are likely to cause issues so that is not a good sequence to run.

Do not use /UPK, I have not seen a single instance were this has resolved anything and there is potential to break the OS when this is run.

So no real benefit and you are exposing risk with using that switch.

Why use SKMS, this forces the use a specific KMS host rather than use DNS to report back the actual KMS host, probably has nothing to do with the issue.

/DLI exposes the current status what do you want with that information, do you want him to post it?

sfc /scannow likely will not resolve much, the error doesn't indicate that type of problem

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:13 PM
  • The server reboot fixed it. working now. thanks everyone.

Yeah Buddy!

• Marked as answer by Jay.lambert Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:03 PM
    • Edited by Jay.lambert Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:06 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:03 PM
  • Thanks buddy.

Works for me.

The "slmgr.vbs -skms kms.abc.com" doesn't mentioned in other sites.

Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:19 PM