none
NAP Client non compliant cause Windows Security Center cannot start

Question

• I have a Windows 2008 domain with DHCP NAP Enforcement working fine on almost all the computer but one. This Nap client cp has XP PRO SP3 (latest updates), McAfee 8.5i, no virus, no trojans but I cannot loggin to the network cause it says that it is non complaint. The auto-remediation tries to update the computer saying that WSC services is not running.  If I try to manually start the service it says "The Security Center service on Local Computer started and stopped. Some services stop automatically if  they have no work to do, ...."  The service is set up to "automatic" but after rebooting the computer its always stopped.

What can I do ??  Is there a registry key that I can change or delete to make sure the service will start automatically after rebooting ?
    Saturday, November 08, 2008 1:28 AM

Answers

• 1) Make sure your client computer is a memeber of of "NAP -Client Computers" (As described in step by step guide).
    2) If yes...
       ===> unjoin it from domain
      ====> Start independent and start security center ---check what happen if it stoped again... I gues some trozan/virus problem with your system make clean the problem
      =====> Again rejoin your system to Domain cotroller--
    ========> I hope it work
    ========> If not
    =============> Make the manual NAP-DHCP enforcement setting on your computer and then start your Security setting

Try it

Brijesh Shukla
    Monday, November 10, 2008 5:28 AM

All replies

•  I think your client computer is not updating with the group policy. Security center is turned off by default. And many times domain controller force it to turn off because of GPO setting.
         just confirm with netsh command is your computer is receiving all the group policy.
    regards
    Brijesh Shukla
    Saturday, November 08, 2008 1:20 PM
  • I tried netsh nap client show grouppolicy and it seems that it doesn't have the updated group policy. Then I tried gpupdate /force and it said "completed" but still no luck I cannot start the WSC service.  When I reboot the computer and quicky go into the services snap-in I can see that it is started but a couple of secconds later it says "stopping" and I cannot started again after that.  What else can I do ? Thanks for all your help.
    Saturday, November 08, 2008 8:05 PM
  • 1) Make sure your client computer is a memeber of of "NAP -Client Computers" (As described in step by step guide).
    2) If yes...
       ===> unjoin it from domain
      ====> Start independent and start security center ---check what happen if it stoped again... I gues some trozan/virus problem with your system make clean the problem
      =====> Again rejoin your system to Domain cotroller--
    ========> I hope it work
    ========> If not
    =============> Make the manual NAP-DHCP enforcement setting on your computer and then start your Security setting

Try it

Brijesh Shukla
    Monday, November 10, 2008 5:28 AM
  • Thank you sooo much !!!  I remove the computer from the domain, rebooted, started the services needed and then joined the domain again and everything is working fine now.

Thanks again...
    Monday, November 10, 2008 9:38 PM