none
reuse drive from old 2003 without formatting?

Question

• Hi,

An organization for which I volunteer has a Server 2003 system that just died, and they asked me if I'd build a 2012 E. system for them.  The old 2003 system had some disks used only to keep data and of course the good people don't have recent backups available.

I had hoped to merely move the old SATA drives into the new server after installing the OS, but when I do that 2012E wants to format them.  Is there a way around this?  The documentation for the old server says these drives were formatted NTFS.  Is there not a way to get 2012E to use them as is?

Thanks!

Steve

Monday, April 29, 2013 4:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Luca,

Thanks for the reply.  There were two separate drives: the 2003 OS system drive with a single partition; and a data drive with two partitions.  Neither was part of a raid configuration.  The new Server 2012 system, which has its own new system drive, could access the old system drive, but only one of the two partitions on the data drive.  Attempts to access the reluctant partition resulted in access denied errors.

Growing desperate and losing time, I overwrote the new server with an old copy of Server 2008.  I can now access the desired data partitions, and am writing them to DVD.  When done, I'll re-install Server 2013.  Barring unexpected troubles, I can copy from DVD onto the newly rebuilt 2012 system.

Again, thanks.

Steve

Edit: this has been proposed as an answer.  I'll go ahead and mark it as such, but in truth it really doesn't answer the underlying question: can one access multiple ntfs partitions when moving a drive from a 2003 (and likely 2008) system to an 2012 system?  The solution for me was to downrev the server to 2008 temporarily.  It'd be nice to not have to do so.

And once again, Luca, thanks.

SJG

• Proposed as answer by Luca Fabbri Monday, April 29, 2013 9:24 PM
    • Edited by sjg2 Monday, April 29, 2013 10:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by sjg2 Monday, April 29, 2013 10:49 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hello sjg2,
    could you give more information about Server 2003 disks configuration used for data that you are trying to mount to Windows 2012 ? Were they configured with RAID/MIRROR ? Which is the output of the command DISKPART* => list disks (launched from DOS prompt after moved SATA drives) ?

* - Reference TechNet Library article: DiskPart.

I suggest to take a look to this TechNet Library article: Troubleshooting Disk Management.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. | Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on "Vote As Helpful" & click on "Mark As Answer" if a post answers your question.

Monday, April 29, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Hi Luca,

Thanks for the reply.  There were two separate drives: the 2003 OS system drive with a single partition; and a data drive with two partitions.  Neither was part of a raid configuration.  The new Server 2012 system, which has its own new system drive, could access the old system drive, but only one of the two partitions on the data drive.  Attempts to access the reluctant partition resulted in access denied errors.

Growing desperate and losing time, I overwrote the new server with an old copy of Server 2008.  I can now access the desired data partitions, and am writing them to DVD.  When done, I'll re-install Server 2013.  Barring unexpected troubles, I can copy from DVD onto the newly rebuilt 2012 system.

Again, thanks.

Steve

Edit: this has been proposed as an answer.  I'll go ahead and mark it as such, but in truth it really doesn't answer the underlying question: can one access multiple ntfs partitions when moving a drive from a 2003 (and likely 2008) system to an 2012 system?  The solution for me was to downrev the server to 2008 temporarily.  It'd be nice to not have to do so.

And once again, Luca, thanks.

SJG

• Proposed as answer by Luca Fabbri Monday, April 29, 2013 9:24 PM
    • Edited by sjg2 Monday, April 29, 2013 10:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by sjg2 Monday, April 29, 2013 10:49 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 8:24 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your work-around.

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:19 AM