none
Import Fails "The system cannot find the path specified" (0x80070003)

Question

• I did see a post related to this that did not fix my problem by editing the "EXP file value "ScopeOfReference".

Environment:
    Host A
    OS- "Win Server Standard SP1" 64 bit (2008R2)
    Domain Admin Account Logon same for both Hosts
    Hyper V Server role enabled
    Hyper V Manager utilized through RDP Session on this Host.
    SCVMM 2008 Trial ver.2.0.3444.0 (Stopping use due to the high number of failed jobs and support complexity)

Host B
    OS- Hyper V Server R2 (Core)
    Domain Admin Account Logon same for both Hosts
    Hyper V Enabled
    Drive D: dedicated to VM's
    Drive V: Storage

Issue:
    I have some VM's on Host B that I want to move back over to Host A.

Action:
    I use Hyper V Manager to select the VM on Host B and "Export" it to the local storage drive partition. From the same Hyper V Manager, I now select the Host A server and select Import Virtual Machine and browse to the folder with the exported VM. I select the root folder name "My Virtual Machine Name"  that contains [Snapshots, Virtual Hard Disks, Virtual Machines].

At thispoint I get "Import Failed".
    Unable to search imort files under location "V:\My VMName\". Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x80070003)

I can explore, open and edit these files from Host A Windows Explorer browsing to Host B shared V:\ drive.

I just decided to trash SCVMM due to the complexity of operation work around (outside the box) and resources involved in finding solutions so I really need to get Hyper V Manager working correctly ASAP.

P.S. I have already rebooted both Host Servers and I did remove server Roles "Application Server" and "Web Server" from Host A since I had assumed it was causing me problems with SCVMM prior.

Anyone think they know the exact cause of my current issue?
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:10 PM

Answers

• The Exported folder needs to be copied to lo9cal storage of the host that you want to import the VM to.

Export packages the VM into a nice single folder.
    However Import simply runs the VM from the folder containing the export - no files are copied or moved.

At least this is how I interpret your description of the symptom.
    Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:06 PM