none
Static IP error message on DC install

Question

• I have installed Windows Server 2008 for the first time and everything seemed to be O.K. When I get to the Domain controller setup, I get the following error message, "This computer has dynamically assigned I.P. addresses. This computer has at least one physical network adapter that does not have static IP address(es) assigned to its I.P. properties. You should assign static I.P. addresses to all physical network adapters for reliable Domain Name System (DNS) operation, for both IPv4 and IPv6 when available."

I have two NICs. One is disabled. I gave each NIC a static IP even though one is disabled and I still get the error. Can someone help me out?

Thanks,

Patrick

Sunday, April 13, 2008 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hello Patrick,

From the error message you provided, I'd like to whether the client computer and domain controller are in the same network subnet. If not, the DNS server address should be pointed to the DNS server (typically it should be the domain controller) that hold the Domain DNS zone instead of the router.

If the error continues after the DNS server address has been pointed to DNS server correctly, we have to consider that the Domain DNS zone is corrupted or some records are missing in it. Follow steps below to repair the Domain DNS zone:

1.    Delete the "_msdcs.precedent-tech.com" and "precedent-tech.com" zone in the DNS server.

2.    Create AD integrated zone named "_msdcs.precedent-tech.com" and "precedent-tech.com"

3.    Run the following commands in the command prompt on the Domain controller:

Ipconfig /flushDNS
    Ipconfig /registerDNS

Net stop netlogon
    Net start netlogon

4.    Check whether records have been created properly. Then check how it works.

If the issue remains, could you please send me the Directory Service MPS report?

About MPS report:

-----------------------

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting to get more information about our computer situation. This tool facilitates the gathering of critical system and logging information used in troubleshooting support issues. After this tool stops automatically, navigate to the folder " %SYSTEMROOT%\MPSReports\DirSvc\Logs " and please send all these files back to me.

You can get this tool from the link:

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools (MPSRPT_DirSvc.EXE)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

You can also get more information about how to use it in the same page (the readme.txt)

-----------------------

Please send the MPS report CAB file and screen shot file to tfwst@microsoft.com

Note:

a. Please include the following three lines for this issue in the email body:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3168579&SiteID=17

Miles Li - MSFT

b. We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails.

c. Pease post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

Friday, April 18, 2008 10:10 AM

All replies

• In Windows Server 2008 IPv4 and IPv6 are automatically enabled.

You receive the error since you didn't specify a static IPv6 address next to your IPv4 address.

If you don't use IPv6 in your environment you can safely ignore the error.

Once you transition to IPv6 you need to set static IPv6 addresses to your servers as soon as possible.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Sander,

Thanks for your answer. However, I installed the box by ignoring the error and I've had DC issues. I get errors that the DC doesn't exist, etc. Do you think the IPv6 is the issue or i have other DC issues?

Thanks

Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:36 PM
  • I've encountered the same error multiple times and ended up with normally operating Domain Controllers after ignoring them. (I'm not dealing with IPv6 in my environments yet)

Could you shed some light on the errors you're receiving?

Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Hi Sander,

The first immediate item that I encounter is another error message that says "A delegation server for this DNS cannot be found or it does not run windows dns server. If you are integrating with an existing dns infrastructure, you should manually create a delegation to this DNS server in the parent zone to ensure reliable name resolution from outside domain.

I've gone through set up a couple of days and accepted these warnings, but i was never able to connect other clients to the DC. Also my company website was still acessible right after installing DC. Typically, when installing a dc for the first time you need to add an 'A" record to see your own website inside the network. Something is definitely slipping by me.

Thanks again for your reply.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Hello Patrick,

We have received the screen shot of "This computer has dynamically assigned IP addresses".

Yes, as Sander said, when IPv6 is assigned dynamically, also you will receive this warning message even though the IPv4 address has been set manually.

So for this issue, if there is no IPv6 environment required, you can simply disable the IPv6 on the adapter that is online. Otherwise, you need to manually assign the static IPv6 address on the adapter.

By the way, about the "A delegation server for this DNS cannot be found or it does not run windows dns server" message, This message that indicates that a delegation glue record could not be created for the new server can usually be ignored, but there are situations where delegation are used for each sub domain and they are not hosted on a Windows DNS server. In this case is important to validate the DNS configuration is correctly setup after DCPROMO completes.

Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by ME II Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:50 PM
    Monday, April 14, 2008 7:44 AM
  • Hi Miles,

Thanks for your answer. I've rebuilt this box 3 times. The last time, I disabled IPv6. I did not receive the "Static I.P." error, but my domain controller still can't be contacted by any of the clients on the network. I've successfully installed Server 2003 and can't figure out why this DC won't work. Each time I time I try to join the domain, I get the following error

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller for domain precedent-tech.com:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.precedent-tech.com

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

192.xxx.xxx.1<<<<----this is the local I.P. address of my router.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

precedent-tech.com
    com
    . (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Hello Patrick,

From the error message you provided, I'd like to whether the client computer and domain controller are in the same network subnet. If not, the DNS server address should be pointed to the DNS server (typically it should be the domain controller) that hold the Domain DNS zone instead of the router.

If the error continues after the DNS server address has been pointed to DNS server correctly, we have to consider that the Domain DNS zone is corrupted or some records are missing in it. Follow steps below to repair the Domain DNS zone:

1.    Delete the "_msdcs.precedent-tech.com" and "precedent-tech.com" zone in the DNS server.

2.    Create AD integrated zone named "_msdcs.precedent-tech.com" and "precedent-tech.com"

3.    Run the following commands in the command prompt on the Domain controller:

Ipconfig /flushDNS
    Ipconfig /registerDNS

Net stop netlogon
    Net start netlogon

4.    Check whether records have been created properly. Then check how it works.

If the issue remains, could you please send me the Directory Service MPS report?

About MPS report:

-----------------------

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting to get more information about our computer situation. This tool facilitates the gathering of critical system and logging information used in troubleshooting support issues. After this tool stops automatically, navigate to the folder " %SYSTEMROOT%\MPSReports\DirSvc\Logs " and please send all these files back to me.

You can get this tool from the link:

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools (MPSRPT_DirSvc.EXE)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

You can also get more information about how to use it in the same page (the readme.txt)

-----------------------

Please send the MPS report CAB file and screen shot file to tfwst@microsoft.com

Note:

a. Please include the following three lines for this issue in the email body:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3168579&SiteID=17

Miles Li - MSFT

b. We will continue to discuss the issue here in the forum and will NOT reply via emails.

c. Pease post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

Friday, April 18, 2008 10:10 AM
  • Miles, I'm having the same problem joining pc's to the domain with 2008. I tried your suggestions and the error still occurs. The only difference is that I created a computer account in AD and when I try to join it I get a message notifying me that it found it and it asks me if I want to use it. After I say yes, then I get the 0x0000232B error. Would you mind if I sent you the MPS report?

Friday, May 16, 2008 7:42 PM
  • For the benefit others, I found my problem. It was dhcp. I only needed a few clients so I set to pool to 192.168.0.100:150. When I checked the client, it was assigned 206. Rather than try and figure out why, I just bumped up the pool to 254 and I was able to join the domain.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:19 AM
  • HI I'm having the same problem "This computer has dynamically assigned IP addresses"

I've tried disabling IP6 on both adaptors to no effect ,I even tried assigning static IPs for IP6

Still no luke.

Any ideas any body   :(

• Edited by ME II Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:40 PM spelling mistake
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Hi Guys

I run this issue in lab enviroment.  If you running two network card this error you will get if you running one network card you will not get this error.  I even disabled second physical network card in my server 2008 and still get this error.  I tested with one network card AD installed no problem.  Some how server 2008 don't like two network card in the server.  Same SBS2008 cannot use two network card and server 2008 could be two network card issue as well.  I will more investigate this issue and will post tomorrow.

thanks

Monday, July 12, 2010 10:52 PM
  • Yup nbhatti is on the right track.  I disabled my other NIC thru the device manger and BOOM!

Good to go!

Friday, August 05, 2011 6:13 PM