none
Value does not fall within the expected range on new WSUS install on Server 2012

Question

• I just enabled and configured the WSUS role on a new Server 2012 installation and after synchronizing with Microsoft and approving some updates, I see that none of them are being downloaded. I look in the event log and get something similar to this for each update I've approved. I have looked around on the Internet and most of the entries I find say something about a proxy server being configured wrong. We do not have a proxy server for this network and the only firewall we have is between our router and the Internet. In other words, the firewall does not interfere with anything on our intranet. I've stood up many WSUS servers on Windows 2008 R2 platforms and have never had this problem. I would appreciate anyone who can help with this.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Server Update Services
    Date:          9/18/2012 10:43:53 AM
    Event ID:      364
    Task Category: 2
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      WSUS2012.rm.local
    Description:
    Content file download failed. Reason: Value does not fall within the expected range. Source File: /msdownload/update/software/crup/2012/09/windows6.1-kb2735855-x64_ac1a0af35980b5de95526da28243c152bb29cf5c.cab Destination File: e:WsusContent\5C\AC1A0AF35980B5DE95526DA28243C152BB29CF5C.cab.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:51 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry, I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday and may not have explained myself very well. In any event, I resolved the problem by rebuilding the server from scratch. This is the first Server 2012 that I have built and the new user interface was a bit daunting at first. Although the WSUS install via roles rather than off a DVD appeared to be far easier, there was one gotcha and that was the destination folder for updates, which you pointed out. When asked where to put the files during WSUS configuration, there was no browse button so I had to manually type in the destination. I typed e:\ and got an error message. WSUS would not accept that. When I removed the backslash, it worked. But then it would never download updates either. I did the same thing on the new installation and typed e: for the destination folder, but this time everything works. Go figure.
    • Marked as answer by VernCook Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:40 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:40 PM

All replies

• the only firewall we have is between our router and the Internet.

HUH? (Trying to grasp the concept of a firewall between a router and the Internet.)

In other words, the firewall does not interfere with anything on our intranet.

But you don't have an *intranet* problem, you have an *INTERNET* problem, as the WSUS Server is unable to download files FROM Microsoft across the INTERNET. So I absolutely guarantee you that both your firewall and your router are part of this conversation.

Destination File: e:WsusContent\5C\AC1A0AF35980B5DE95526DA28243C152BB29CF5C.cab

Not exactly sure what the reason is, but there's a critical backslash missing in this pathname.

Please open the registry editor and inspect the value contained at

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup in the registry value "ContentDir".

What value is there?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Product Manager, SolarWinds
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

• Marked as answer by VernCook Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by VernCook Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:33 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:06 PM
  • I'm sorry, I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday and may not have explained myself very well. In any event, I resolved the problem by rebuilding the server from scratch. This is the first Server 2012 that I have built and the new user interface was a bit daunting at first. Although the WSUS install via roles rather than off a DVD appeared to be far easier, there was one gotcha and that was the destination folder for updates, which you pointed out. When asked where to put the files during WSUS configuration, there was no browse button so I had to manually type in the destination. I typed e:\ and got an error message. WSUS would not accept that. When I removed the backslash, it worked. But then it would never download updates either. I did the same thing on the new installation and typed e: for the destination folder, but this time everything works. Go figure.
    • Marked as answer by VernCook Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:40 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:40 PM
  • When asked where to put the files during WSUS configuration, there was no browse button so I had to manually type in the destination. I typed e:\ and got an error message. WSUS would not accept that. When I removed the backslash, it worked. But then it would never download updates either. I did the same thing on the new installation and typed e: for the destination folder, but this time everything works. Go figure.

Really. Historically that value has been prepopulated with the string X:\WSUS where X is the volume with the largest free space.

This would put the tree in X:\WSUS\WSUSContent. Specifying the root is certainly valid, and that's how you get X:\WSUSContent.

But without the slash it's an invalid pathname and that explains the download failures.

Product Manager, SolarWinds
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:37 PM
  • I still get the error and I have the path correct. What else could cause this?

It looks like only one update:

Content file download failed. Reason: Value does not fall within the expected range. Source File: /msdownload/update/v5/eula/xpsp2eula_trk.txt Destination File: E:\WSUS\WsusContent\78\5420CDC19AFB7EF7F76E1334E8CAEFE6C0EBEC78.txt.

Also I cannot sync and updates with Microsoft Software License Terms.  Any thoughts?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:46 PM
  • What version of SQL are you using?  SQL 2012 with or without sp1?
    Friday, January 25, 2013 6:11 PM
  • We're not using SQL. We're using WID
    Friday, January 25, 2013 8:12 PM
  • originally we had it installed with WID, but switch to SUSBD hoping it would correct the issue.
    Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:13 PM
  • I removed using proxy settings and it synced without issue.  I did set Server 2012 to use our proxy server for all internet traffic.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 2:58 PM
  • I did the same , however our proxy server requires authentication and fails with the error as stated above.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 3:55 PM
  • I also ran "netsh winhttp set proxy proxyservername:portnumber" on Server 2012
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:59 PM
  • I resolved my 'Content file download failed. Reason: Value does not fall within the expected range' with specifying FQDN domain name on tab Proxy Server.

NetBIOS domai name was not enough.

O$o6b

Friday, April 19, 2013 11:31 AM
  • I still get the error and I have the path correct. What else could cause this?

It looks like only one update:

Content file download failed. Reason: Value does not fall within the expected range. Source File: /msdownload/update/v5/eula/xpsp2eula_trk.txt Destination File: E:\WSUS\WsusContent\78\5420CDC19AFB7EF7F76E1334E8CAEFE6C0EBEC78.txt.

Considering this is the EULA (Turkish language) for Windows XP Service Pack 2, I would just DECLINE the update and solve the problem. (You can't deploy Service Pack 2 to Windows XP sytems anymore anyway, because an XP RTM and XP SP1 systems can't get an updated WUAgent in order to get SP2 from a WSUS server.)

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:06 PM
  • I resolved my 'Content file download failed. Reason: Value does not fall within the expected range' with specifying FQDN domain name on tab Proxy Server.

NetBIOS domai name was not enough.

This suggests a DNS resolution configuration issue, as the domain suffix of the proxy server should have been automatically appended to the simple hostname, assuming the client and proxy server are in the same domain.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:07 PM
  • I'm having the same issue. The only difference is my Syncs complete successfully, it downloads all of the information for the updates, but the actual update files will not download. The proxy settings are configured correctly, and I have tested on 3 different servers with the same results:

FROM WSUS LOG:

2013-06-18 17:12:30.752 UTC Error WsusService.24 ContentSyncAgent.SetProxySettings Value does not fall within the expected range.
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ContentSyncAgent.SetProxySettings(IBitsJob job)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ContentSyncAgent.Download(String& step, String& fileRemotePath, String& fileLocalPath, FileNeededByContentAgent file, IBitsJob& jobCreated)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ContentSyncAgent.WakeUpWorkerThreadProc()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

FROM EVENT VIEWER:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Server Update Services
    Date:          6/18/2013 12:12:30 PM
    Event ID:      364
    Task Category: 2
    Level:         Error
    Computer:      J201M737.XXXXXXX.COM

Description:
    Content file download failed. Reason: Value does not fall within the expected range. Source File: /msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/ndp20-kb928365-ia64_dcbebf9e881ea45a3ecb5b6041000b696d370807.exe Destination File: D:\WSUS\WsusContent\07\DCBEBF9E881EA45A3ECB5B6041000B696D370807.exe.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Ah ha... I found the answer near the bottom of this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/9a1b6061-7c61-4598-a2bf-0a7f95c6c941.

The hotfix resolved my issue!! I have been trying to fix this for DAYS. Can't believe a patch would not be released for such a MAJOR issue... This occuring on all 5 of our 2012 WSUS Servers, which are all fresh installations. Hotfix can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2838998.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Can't believe a patch would not be released for such a MAJOR issue...

I'm quite confused by this statement.

A patch was released. You installed it!

SolarWinds Head Geek

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:10 PM
  • in my case there was also e: in the logs and in the registry. No proxy in the set up. Changing registry directly in regedit + service restart + server restart + deny/approve + hotfix did not help. What helped is the reinstall of the role and in correct E:\ in the path selection wizard. So, yes, trailing backslash is critical point here.

D.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:27 AM
  • Hey :)

We had the same Problem. The Problem is the missing backslash. You can change the Path to the WSUSContent in the WSUS Database.

So install SQL Server Management Studio on the Server an run it as Administrator. Then use this Connection Path \\.\pipe\Microsoft##WID\tsql\query to access the databse.

In The SQL Management Studio navigate to the SUSDB Databse and to the Table dbo.tbConfigurationB ther you can edit the  LocalContentCacheLocation.

After changing this to the Path with backslash all is working fine on my Installation

Regards

Tobi

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:18 AM