none
Audio service hangs on Windows Server 2008R2 with Remote Desktop Services

Question

• Hello! 
    I have some terminal servers on Windows Server 2008R2. Users have the ability to use web browsers (IE, Firefox) with the included Flash Player, IM clients / Internet telephony (Skype, ICQ), Windows Media Player, Office, and a specific internal software (works with MS SQL). I have the following problem: the Windows audio service hangs up that leads to hangup of all programs which use it, such as: any sites in Internet with a flash content (in all browsers), ICQ, Skype.Even logging out the session hung when tried to lose a sound. It's impossible to stop or restart service from the services.msc the service just hang with status "restarting". To stop service I terminate svchost process. As soon as the audio service is stopped - all programs start to work correctly (certainly without a sound). This problem appeared not suddenly - periodic hangups of programs on servers were marked long ago (more than half a year), but not directly were connected to audio service, especially there were they rather rare (on the average once a week - two) and were corrected by server reset. The error message: 
    Error container , type 0 
    Event name: AppHangXProcB1 
    Reply: No data 
    Ident CAB: 0 
    Problem signature: 
    P1: iexplore.exe 
    P2: 9.0.8112.16446 
    P3: 4fb57c8f 
    P4: 77c1 
    P5: 131200 
    P6: svchost.exe:AudioClientRpc 
    P7: 0.0.0.0 
    P8: 
    P9: 
    P10: 

shall suggest an idea about a sound service, but in Event Viewer has no Windows Audio events. 

Recently I updated Skype to the last version 6.0.66.120. Before was 4.2.35.155 because versions 5хх on Windows2008R2 with the Remote Desctop Services actually don't work, if users at the server more than one or two. We checked the sixth version by the test machine with the terminal environment and very were delighted to its normal working capacity. However after installation of this client on production servers it appeared that hangups of programs on servers began to occur on the average time at an o'clock in case of an average daily load (about 20 users on one server). If you have worked one or two users, problems weren't watched. Internet search led me to the support page Skype, where the Windows 7 x64 user faced a similar problem in the fifth version of the program. But the solutions proposed by the support team does not help me. In addition, I found the advice to disable enhancements in the properties of the playback device, but it is impossible for the "Remote Audio" device. 

At the moment, on servers where I updated the Skype, I disabled the audio service. If within a reasonable time, I do not find a solution, I will have to revert to an older version of Skype, but I would like to solve the problem completely. 

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:31 PM

All replies

• Enable the Allow audio and video playback redirection Group Policy setting

To allow audio and video playback when connecting to a computer running Windows Server 2008 R2, you must enable the Allow audio and video playback redirection Group Policy setting. The Allow audio and video playback redirection Group Policy setting is located in Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Device and Resource Redirection and can be configured by using either Local Group Policy Editor or the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC).

For more information about Group Policy settings for Remote Desktop Services, see the Remote Desktop Services Technical Reference (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=138134).

Is this policy applied? Refer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759165.aspx

Also, have you tried update the audio device driver for this terminal server?

Friday, November 16, 2012 5:28 AM
  • No, this policy isn't applied, but in the Remote Desktop Services configuration (RDP-TCP options) the audio and video playback redirection wasn't disabled. Now I applied the policy and it didn't help me.

There are no hardware audio devices on the my terminal server, only remote audio. So I can't update the audio device driver. All Windows updates are installed.

My terminal server hardware is HP ProLiant DL380 G7

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Have you found any solution to the problem (except disabling the audio service)?
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:31 AM
  • I have this issue too. 

Please share the solution if anybody found it?

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 1:38 PM