none
Immediate and Urgent Replication.

Question

• Hi,

I've been trying to find very clear informations regarding the differences between urgent replication and immediate replication, and what I've found so far doesn't clear things enough for me.

------------------

Events That Trigger Urgent Replication

Urgent Active Directory replication is always triggered by certain events on all domain controllers within the same site. When you have enabled change notification between sites, these triggering events also replicate immediately between sites.

Between Windows Server 2003–based and Windows 2000–based domain controllers in the same site, immediate notification is caused by the following events:

Assigning an account lockout, which a domain controller performs to prohibit a user from logging on after a certain number of failed attempts.

Changing the account lockout policy.

Changing the domain password policy.

Changing a Local Security Authority (LSA) secret, which is a secure form in which private data is stored by the LSA (for example, the password for a trust relationship).

Changing the password on a domain controller computer account.

Changing the relative identifier (known as a “RID”) master role owner, which is the single domain controller in a domain that assigns relative identifiers to all domain controllers in that domain.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/1465d773-b763-45ec-b971-c23cdc27400e1033.mspx?mfr=true

------------------------------------

The following events are not urgent replications in Windows 2000 domains:

Changing the account lockout policy

Changing the domain password policy

Changing the password on a computer account

Domain trust passwords

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/08e505ca-0e68-458d-b85d-60a6a37dc9271033.mspx?mfr=true

Now maybe I'm tired but these two articles seem to contradict themselves and as I said, I did not find a clear and detailed explanation of these two. Can you please help clear this for me ?

Vlad.
    • Edited by tVlad Monday, August 04, 2008 2:06 PM added a link
    Monday, August 04, 2008 1:59 PM

Answers

• You question is a little unclear.  Are you asking what the difference is between (1) urgent and immediate replication or (2) urgent and non-immediate replication?  If not a typo and you really are asking #1 then there is no difference, those are two terms for the same thing.  But if you actually meant #2 and are asking about non-immediate (aka typical/normal replication), then the only 'difference' is in the timing.  The scope and action of the replication processes are identical:

Note, however, that the only difference between urgent replication and typical   
    replication is the lack of a delay before the transmission of the change   
    notification. If this does not occur, urgent replication is identical to   
    standard replication 

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging
    Monday, August 04, 2008 3:23 PM
  •  As far as I know, there is no chanage on urgent replication in Windows Server 2008. You may view the sample section "Urgent Replication" of "Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Resource Kit" from the following link:

ftp://ftp.bookpool.com/sc/58/0735625158.pdf
    Laura Zhang - MSFT
    Friday, August 08, 2008 8:51 AM

All replies

• You question is a little unclear.  Are you asking what the difference is between (1) urgent and immediate replication or (2) urgent and non-immediate replication?  If not a typo and you really are asking #1 then there is no difference, those are two terms for the same thing.  But if you actually meant #2 and are asking about non-immediate (aka typical/normal replication), then the only 'difference' is in the timing.  The scope and action of the replication processes are identical:

Note, however, that the only difference between urgent replication and typical   
    replication is the lack of a delay before the transmission of the change   
    notification. If this does not occur, urgent replication is identical to   
    standard replication 

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging
    Monday, August 04, 2008 3:23 PM
  • HI Jeff,

I was actually thinking afterwards that maybe urgent and immediate replication were the same thing, I was really convinced that they were different, but I guess I didn't remember well enough.

Thank you for your help. Did the triggers for urgent replication change any further in Windows 2008 ?
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:52 AM
  •  As far as I know, there is no chanage on urgent replication in Windows Server 2008. You may view the sample section "Urgent Replication" of "Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Resource Kit" from the following link:

ftp://ftp.bookpool.com/sc/58/0735625158.pdf
    Laura Zhang - MSFT
    Friday, August 08, 2008 8:51 AM
  •  

These two artcles do conflict with each other if the meaning of "immediate replication" and " urgent replication" is the same, and from the description of the first article, it does.

The first article says: immediate notification is caused by the following events:

……

while the second article says:

The following events are not urgent replications in Windows 2000 domains:

……

Also, "Urgent Active Directory replication is always triggered by certain events on all domain controllers within the same site, regardless of what operating system is running on the domain controller." ---How the Active Directory Replication Model Works http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772726(WS.10).aspx#w2k3tr_repup_how_huzs

So there must be a mistake in one of these two articles and the answer of Vlad did not get resolved.

Sunday, July 04, 2010 3:37 AM
  • Immediate and urgent replication are two different events.

Urgent replication bypasses change notification delays and processes replication events, this happens within a site.  Urgent Inter-site replication still is bound by the site replication schedule unless you have intersite change notification enabled.

Immediate replication happens immediately!  The most common case is when a dc that just changed an user object's password, it is immediately replicated back to the PDCe.

This can get very confusing, but there is a good detailed explanation at:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kenstcyr/archive/2008/07/05/understanding-urgent-replication.aspx

--
    Paul Bergson
    MVP - Directory Services
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
    2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
    Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009
    http://www.pbbergs.com    Twitter @pbbergs

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
    posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 05, 2010 1:45 AM