none
How to create a Microsoft Lab for students

Question

• I am an IT
    Manager for a school that provides a A+, Network+, and Server+ instruction for
    certifications. We are looking to virtualize Windows 7 Desktops for students to
    use Chromebooks or an inexpensive laptop to work through labs. We also wanted
    to build a system where students could create hyper-v hosts, setup a domain,
    dns, dhcp, and OUs all in a test environment.<o:p></o:p>

I am
    looking into third party software so to be able to connect to a server through
    a web browser from a Chromebook.<o:p></o:p>

My biggest
    concern is giving students the ability to setup virtual systems, Server 2008,
    AD setup and functionality.<o:p></o:p>

How would I
    go about setting up this test environment ?<o:p></o:p>

There will
    be anywhere between 25-50 students connected to the systems at any given point.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Thank you.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:05 PM

Answers

• I think the first problem you are going to have is a way to provide access to the machines.  Remote Desktop Services (previously known as Terminal Services) is a very common way to remotely access Windows clients and servers.  But, I have not heard of any licensed software the implements the RDP protocol on Chrome devices.  Any web solution that I have seen has eventually called something like mstsc.exe to have access to the RDP protocol.  So unless something has changed in the last couple years, I don't think there is a legal RDP client for any Linux-based solution.

Inexpensive laptops could have a flavor of Windows installed on them that could provide the RDP access.  In fact, I forget what it is called, but there was a software package that Microsoft has that could turn even old computers into 'thin' clients.  It ran an embedded WinXP and provided the user only the ability to access an RDS environment.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:14 AM

All replies

• I think the first problem you are going to have is a way to provide access to the machines.  Remote Desktop Services (previously known as Terminal Services) is a very common way to remotely access Windows clients and servers.  But, I have not heard of any licensed software the implements the RDP protocol on Chrome devices.  Any web solution that I have seen has eventually called something like mstsc.exe to have access to the RDP protocol.  So unless something has changed in the last couple years, I don't think there is a legal RDP client for any Linux-based solution.

Inexpensive laptops could have a flavor of Windows installed on them that could provide the RDP access.  In fact, I forget what it is called, but there was a software package that Microsoft has that could turn even old computers into 'thin' clients.  It ran an embedded WinXP and provided the user only the ability to access an RDS environment.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

Since you mentioned students will use Chromebooks, I know that is developed by Google and I think it doesn’t support Remote Desktop service. So you can deploy Remote Desktop Web Access (RD Web Access) for students, formerly Terminal Services Web Access (TS Web Access). This feature enables users to access RemoteApp and Desktop Connection through a Web browser.

So firstly you should configure an environment for remote connection, refer to these articles to configure that:

Overview of Remote Desktop Web Access (RD Web Access)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772452.aspx
    Remote Desktop Web Access (RD Web Access)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731923.aspx

After you create the remote connection environment, you can refer to following articles to configure a lab environment:

Test Lab Guides
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1262.test-lab-guides.aspx

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:00 AM