none
DEFCON Level 5 - Server 2012 will not boot !!

Question

• A reboot of a Server 2012 machine will not boot, came up with the light blue message We do not have a backup image.

It appears that the data is still all there on the drives

On the machine that will not boot, in the CMD shell  :

C: has the System Reserve area
    D: has what was the G: drive, a 2nd SCSI disk
    E: has the OS, the C:
    F: is the DVD drive

I have done all combinations off bootsect

e.g.

bootsect /nt60 sys /force /mbr

It says OK buT when you use bootrec /Scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd if finds nothing

>> Do you know of a URL for manual steps to repair boot

Please do not direct me to a URL that asks me to restore a previous system images, as there is not one!

As this is what google is highlighting to me.

Thanks !!

NB: If relevant, Server is a VM on vmeare vCenter v5.1

Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:00 AM

Answers

• What error message is displayed?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Greg B Roberts Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:45 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:35 AM
  • The text is small but has "Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_area" then possibly mfehidk.sys (not enough pixels to be sure, looks like a McAfee issue....)

NB: Isn't the win 8 / server 2012 boot mechanism changed, so are articles for 2008 or 2008 r2 still relevent ? Certainly was not finding server 2012 articles on this topic.

Also not 100% sure if the boot dir is meant to be the true C: drive, of the hidden system reserve area ?

HOLD the bus, i am a drongo, i just assumed it was a boot issue because of bootrec not findinf anything, rather it us a dll issue in mcafee as safe mode worked !!

So my current issue is how to force a bypass of mcafee as the safe mode unistall said it could not do it.

FOr others the solution to uninstall in safe mode is http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/117840-uninstall-remove-software-safe-mode.html

thanks guys

Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:10 AM

All replies

• What error message is displayed?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Greg B Roberts Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:45 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Try  Chaoticflyer's suggestion from this thread.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:47 AM
  • The text is small but has "Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_area" then possibly mfehidk.sys (not enough pixels to be sure, looks like a McAfee issue....)

NB: Isn't the win 8 / server 2012 boot mechanism changed, so are articles for 2008 or 2008 r2 still relevent ? Certainly was not finding server 2012 articles on this topic.

Also not 100% sure if the boot dir is meant to be the true C: drive, of the hidden system reserve area ?

HOLD the bus, i am a drongo, i just assumed it was a boot issue because of bootrec not findinf anything, rather it us a dll issue in mcafee as safe mode worked !!

So my current issue is how to force a bypass of mcafee as the safe mode unistall said it could not do it.

FOr others the solution to uninstall in safe mode is http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/117840-uninstall-remove-software-safe-mode.html

thanks guys

Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:10 AM