none
TO create a Child domain Unders the Domain Tree

Question

• Hello Everybody ,

I  have Created a New Forest name is Labs.com.  SO labs.com is  my Forest and Tree Name .

NOw under that i created a New Child Domain  as  Sales.Labs.com

Then I Created a New Domain Tree in Existing Forest as Test.com .

now i want to create a Child DOmain under this new Domain Tree Test.com ( as HR.Test.COm)

i am unable to do that .  it gives me an error

" The Operation Failed because.....Active Dir Domain Serives Could not create The Object cn=hr,cn=partitions,cn=configuration,dc=labs,dc=com....  Could not access a Partition of the Dir Service Located on a remove Server.Make Sure at least one server is running for the Partition in question "

I know to add Child domain or new domain tree u must be an Enterprise Admin.

Need Help. plizz give ur suggestions

Yunus.

Friday, November 12, 2010 9:59 AM

Answers

• What DNS is the machine using that you want to promote into a new Tree? It must be set only to the forest root DNS until you get it promoted. Then you have other options with DNS resolution in a forest.

Keep in mind to remove any external DNS, such as teh ISP's DNS, or even if you're using your router/firewall as a DNS address. They do not have any of your internal domain/forest info that AD requires.

Please provide an ipconfig /all from the current DC in the forest root, and from the machine you want to promote to better assist.

Thanks,

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 7:01 PM

All replies

• Well i am Using Windows 2008 Forest

thanks.

Friday, November 12, 2010 12:31 PM
  • What DNS is the machine using that you want to promote into a new Tree? It must be set only to the forest root DNS until you get it promoted. Then you have other options with DNS resolution in a forest.

Keep in mind to remove any external DNS, such as teh ISP's DNS, or even if you're using your router/firewall as a DNS address. They do not have any of your internal domain/forest info that AD requires.

Please provide an ipconfig /all from the current DC in the forest root, and from the machine you want to promote to better assist.

Thanks,

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

Follow the advice from Ace, could you please also tell how the DNS infrastructure looks like in your domain?

1. Do you host central DNS server for both domain trees on the forest DNS server?

2. If you host DNS namespaces of two AD domain tree in separate DNS servers, what did you configured for cross-namespace name resolution?

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Hi, I am trying to do the same thing Yunus was doing, ie, set up a DC under a tree root. If I only use the forest root ip as the primary DNS, the server I am trying to promote has problem contacting tree root domain. If I put both forest root and tree root ip in primary DNS and secondary DNS, then I get the same error apot was getting: "Could not access a partition of teh directory service located on a remote server. Make sure at least one server is running for the partition in question." I am doing this with Windows 2008 R2. I followed the dcpromo wizard to create the forest root and the tree root, each of them has DNS server and only forest root contains GC. I have not specifically configured DNS namespaces. So far I have not been able to find a solution to this problem or step to step instructions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shimin
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:07 PM
  • Solved it by experts-exchange.com.
    Friday, February 14, 2014 10:57 PM
  • Solved it by experts-exchange.com.

Can you share what you've found at experts-exchange.com?

For future reference, to create a new tree, my blog has a step by step:

DNS Design Options in a Multi-Domain Forest - How to create a Parent-Child DNS Delegation, and How to Configure DNS to create a new Tree in the Forest
    Published by Ace Fekay, MCT, MVP DS on Oct 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2010/10/01/dns-parent-child-dns-delegation-how-to-create-a-dns-delegation.aspx

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCSE 2012, MCITP EA & MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2013, 2010 EA & 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:11 PM