none
Remote Desktop can't connect to domain controller

Question

• It used to work, but now for some reason we are unable to connect  to our domain controller via remote desktop or Terminal Services manager inside and outside of our network. DNS is fine, and I even tried typing in the server IP address instead of the server name. Remote Desktop and TS Manager  in our environment is working fine and connecting to all other servers in our network. Except for this one particular server.

When trying to connect, I get an error message saying that:

1) Remote Connections may not be enabled on the server-they are, I checked

2) Maximum connections have been established- I even restarted the DC to clear connections.

3) A network error may have occured-Server is up and running and connected to the network. Again, I restarted it over the weekend.

Any help would be appreciated. I am running out of ideas.

thanks

Monday, May 14, 2007 2:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• It used to work, but now for some reason we are unable to connect  to our domain controller via Remote Desktop or Terminal Services manager. Happens wether we are inside or outside of our network. DNS is fine, and I even tried typing in the server IP address instead of the server name. Remote Desktop and TS Manager  in our environment is working fine and connecting to all other servers in our network. Except for this one particular server.

When trying to connect, I get an error message saying that:

1) Remote Connections may not be enabled on the server-they are, I checked

2) Maximum connections have been established- I even restarted the DC to clear connections.

3) A network error may have occured-Server is up and running and connected to the network. Again, I restarted it over the weekend.

Any help would be appreciated. I am running out of ideas.

Monday, May 14, 2007 2:03 PM
  • Can you check if the firewall exception for Remote Desktop is set?
    Monday, May 14, 2007 5:03 PM
  • Can you check if the firewall exception for Remote Desktop is set?
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:18 PM
  • Thanks  for responding Jason,

I should have mentioned that our domain controller is Windows2000 SP4. I've looked around in there today but can't find a Windows Firewall option. Does Win2000 Professional have the firewall exception capabilities?  I went into the MMC and looked in the IP Security Policies Management for the local computer, but did not find any policies in there.

Friday, May 18, 2007 4:21 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem.  I can't connect to DNS through MMC through remote desktop.  Everything else still working great.  I'm on win server 2003.  If you find out how to fix this, I'd sure love to know.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 3:55 PM
  • Since your using a pre-Longhorn Terminal Server, can you please post your question over at the TS Newsgroup?  The TS Web Forum is meant for Longhorn only issues.  You should be able to get a quick response on the newsgroup.

You can find the newsgroup by following this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 5:29 PM