none
Clear cookies on IE 8 exit

Question

• I'm trying to setup a GPO that will set IE to delete cookies when the browser is closed. I found the policy, "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed," but nothing for cookies specifically. The other requirement is that this GPO should apply only to members of a computer group (not to all PCs a user logs into). How do I accomplish this? Thanks.
    Friday, April 20, 2012 4:39 PM

Answers

• I decided to create a GPP to delete the %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft...\cookies folder, in addition to the temporary internet files. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by WinadminSM Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:35 PM
    • Edited by WinadminSM Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:36 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:35 PM

All replies

• After some research, AFAIK there's no setting to do so... Or at least, I
    didn't find one that "deletes" cookies, but the other way (prevent from
    deleting).

regards, Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Martin. There is not GPO setting specifically for cookies. We can only delete cookies along with other Temporary Internet Files.

In the meantime, I understand that you wish the GPO to apply only to members of a computer group.

To do this we can make the setting in a GPO which is linked with the computers' OU of the domain and use security filtering to make it only apply to the members of the specific group.

The setting shall be in Computer Configuration (not user Configuration): Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Advanced Page\Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed.

Here is an article regarding security filter:

Filter using security groups

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779291(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards

Kevin

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:36 AM
  • @K_evin Zhu: It sounds to me like you're saying that if I enable "Empty Temporary Internet Files", cookies will also be deleted? Am I reading that right?

Thanks.

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Hi,

After researching, I find that it is possible that some cookies files remain even after we do the "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder" setting.

Emptying Temporary Internet Files Folder Leaves Cookies Files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158769/EN-US

In this situation, we can try using logoff script to delete cookies files as a workaround. (Cookies can be deleted after user logoff but cannot be deleted while closing IE.)

Here is another thread for your reference:

Delete cookies using GPO

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/winservergen/thread/80b40185-1c1a-42a0-ad7f-e02576c22a75

We can also seek help regarding scripts from our script forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/

Regards

Kevin

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:22 AM
  • I decided to create a GPP to delete the %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft...\cookies folder, in addition to the temporary internet files. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by WinadminSM Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:35 PM
    • Edited by WinadminSM Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:36 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:35 PM
  • You have to enable two options.

User Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Delete Browsing History
    Configure Delete Browsing History on exit - > Enabled

Configure each of the following settings.  Enabled items WILL NOT be deleted.  Disabled items WILL be deleted on exit.
    Prevent Deleting Cookies -> Set to Disabled to delete cookies on IE exit. 
    Prevent Deleting Download History 
    Prevent Deleting Form Data 
    Prevent Deleting Passwords
    Prevent Deleting Temporary Internet Files
    Prevent Deleting Web sites that the User has Visited

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 5:49 PM