none
Excel 2003 on Terminal Server slow to open files

Question

• Hi folks, hoping you can help me out on this one.

I'm supporting a client who have Windows Server 2003 terminal server, which they RDP into to use Excel 2003. It's a bit of a non-issue in a sense, because may very well be just because upwards of twenty uses are accessing the server at the same time; however, they are finding that opening Excel spreadsheets takes a lot longer than it should. These Excel spreadsheets are stored on the same server.  Again, I suppose this is a bit of an obvious statement, but it seems to vary on the size of the sheet.

I'm at a loss at the moment for a way to speed it up; I've tried disabling File Validation via the registry, however the edit I've used seems like it will only affect the current user and has had no wider impact.

Any ideas folks?

Monday, July 18, 2011 10:52 AM

Answers

• Hey folks, apologies for any time wasted on this, but I actually managed to resolve the issue by rolling out aforementioned registry edit to all users in the HKEY_USERS key.

HKEY_USERS\-SID HERE-\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Security\FileValidation]
    "EnableOnLoad"=dword:00000000

Thanks all the same.

• Marked as answer by LMD90 Monday, July 18, 2011 11:39 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 11:39 AM

All replies

• Hey folks, apologies for any time wasted on this, but I actually managed to resolve the issue by rolling out aforementioned registry edit to all users in the HKEY_USERS key.

HKEY_USERS\-SID HERE-\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Security\FileValidation]
    "EnableOnLoad"=dword:00000000

Thanks all the same.

• Marked as answer by LMD90 Monday, July 18, 2011 11:39 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sharing the experience to solve this problem.

Technology changes life……
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:15 AM