none
Updates needed but no updates found on client

Question

• Hi All,

I am new to WSUS so this maybe a simple question. In my console one of my computers says this:

But when I check for updates on that computer it doesn't show any:

What is the reason for this? If I click the link to say "check online for updates plenty are found"

Thanks

Dave

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:23 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I am new to WSUS so this maybe a simple question. In my console one of my computers says this:

A common challenge for new WSUS Admins... it has to do with understanding the difference between the meaning of what is displayed on the WSUS console (needed) and what is displayed in the WUApplet (available).

On the WSUS console, the update is displayed in one of three states: Not Applicable, Installed, or Needed. This state is evaluated the first time a client sees an update in the WSUS database and is evaluated for *every* update in the database.

On the WUApplet, the client displays updates that are AVAILABLE to be installed. For a WSUS client there are two subconditions for an update to be AVIALABLE. First, the update must be APPROVED for a group that the client is assigned to. Unapproved updates, even if Needed, will never appear in the WUApplet display. Second, the update must be DOWNLOADABLE from the WSUS server. Even if the update is approved on the WSUS server, if the file to install the update has not been downloaded to the WSUS server, then it is not available to the client for installation.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Triumphtech Tuesday, April 02, 2013 11:59 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

What is the reason for this? If I click the link to say "check online for updates plenty are found"

Thanks

Dave

In the WSUS console have all of the files/bits needed downloaded successfully?

Anything you can see in the c:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log that might provide clues?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:58 PM
  • Hi All,

A common challenge for new WSUS Admins... it has to do with understanding the difference between the meaning of what is displayed on the WSUS console (needed) and what is displayed in the WUApplet (available).

On the WSUS console, the update is displayed in one of three states: Not Applicable, Installed, or Needed. This state is evaluated the first time a client sees an update in the WSUS database and is evaluated for *every* update in the database.

On the WUApplet, the client displays updates that are AVAILABLE to be installed. For a WSUS client there are two subconditions for an update to be AVIALABLE. First, the update must be APPROVED for a group that the client is assigned to. Unapproved updates, even if Needed, will never appear in the WUApplet display. Second, the update must be DOWNLOADABLE from the WSUS server. Even if the update is approved on the WSUS server, if the file to install the update has not been downloaded to the WSUS server, then it is not available to the client for installation.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Triumphtech Tuesday, April 02, 2013 11:59 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:41 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed answer that has helped me understand it better. I have checked and everything is approved, but as you say not downloaded:

This doesn't seem to be moving either, can I force it to download? I have done a few synronisations already.

Thanks

Dave

Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:55 PM
  • This doesn't seem to be moving either, can I force it to download? I have done a few synronisations already.

Yeah... =168=GB of update files to download is not healthy. Healthy would be some number in low double-digits.. like 10-20GB. These 4559 updates needing files are a manifestation of having approved about 4000 more updates than you needed to. Unfortunately, you've already downloaded over 35GB of updates, which means there's a lot of cleanup work to be done as well.

It is possible to back out of this situation, but having recently walked another WSUS Admin through the process (it took a few conversations, and three one-hour phone calls over five days) to get through ... mostly because of the convoluted (and difficult) way the BITS queue is now managed (and jobs created by the SYSTEM context cannot be managed by interactive users).... you may find that it's much simpler and quicker to trash the WSUS server and reinstall from scratch.

When approving updates on an initial installation:

1. Never approve superseded updates.

2. Never approve service packs (With the exception of SP1 for Win7/WS2008R2, all of them are already deployed or those clients won't get updates from WSUS anyway! You can approve SP1 for Win7/2008R2 after the initial approval/download process is completed.)

3. Never approve Itanium updates. (Unless you have an Itanium server, in which case you'd be the first person I've ever met who does.)

4. Don't approve any updates that are not reported as NEEDED by at least one client system. (Later you can add some approvals for key updates that should be approved even though they're 100% deployed.)

5. Focus on Security and Critical updates for the operating systems you have deployed. (Don't approve x64 updates for XP/2003/2008 unless you actually have them.)

Following that guidance, you should end up with only a few hundred approved updates, and probably not even 10GB of content.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:28 AM