none
Can't create W2K8R2 client VMs on Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V

Question

• I have a Windows Server 2012 server. It is a Supermicro SuperServer 6037R-73RF with 128GB RAM, Dual Xeon E5-2620 processors and 2TB of SAS RAD 10 using the on-board LSI 2208 controller. I have installed Windows Server 2012 Data Center and all of that went just fine. I enabled the Hyper-V role and that went without error. However, I have been trying to create a Windows Server 2008R2 SP2 virtual machine and I keep getting the error "a required CD/DVD drive device is missing" right after I click on the "Install Now" button.

I researched the error and almost every one that I found on Google referred to having mad install media. However, I have tried using an ISO from Microsoft, a CD a different ISO that I had used several times before for standard W2K8 server installs and I am still getting the same problem. It doesn't seem that the problem is with the install media.

One thing I want to note is that when I installed the Host Server 2102 OS, right after the initial install, I checked device manager and there were no exclamation marks on any of the devices so I didn't run the chipset and device installs form the CD provided with the Supermicro motherboard. Could that cause this kind of issue?

Any ideas. 

Thanks,

Dave

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:15 AM

Answers

• did you try to remove the cd-rom device from VM? WS2008R2 is supported into Hyper-V 2012.

you can re-install the device or check bios settings

S

S.Net
    Owner at Inside Technologies | @s_net

MVP System Center Cloud and Datacenter Management
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator
    MCSA Windows Server 2012
    MCTS Configuration Manager 2012 - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007
    My Blog
    WindowServer.it
    WindowServer.it Learning Portal
    WindowServer.it Conference Portal

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:54 AM
  • The other is to re-download the ISO.  Or to properly burn a DVD and use the physical DVD drive of the Hyper-V Server to see if that gets over it.

There used to be lots of problems during the 2008 R2 timeframe with folks having corrupt ISO images, or the images were not 'closed' properly.  This in turn caused problems like yours.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:17 PM

All replies

• As a side note, I just created a Window7 VM on this server. So,the problem seems specific to W2K8R2
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:48 AM
  • did you try to remove the cd-rom device from VM? WS2008R2 is supported into Hyper-V 2012.

you can re-install the device or check bios settings

S

S.Net
    Owner at Inside Technologies | @s_net

MVP System Center Cloud and Datacenter Management
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator
    MCSA Windows Server 2012
    MCTS Configuration Manager 2012 - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007
    My Blog
    WindowServer.it
    WindowServer.it Learning Portal
    WindowServer.it Conference Portal

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:54 AM
  • The other is to re-download the ISO.  Or to properly burn a DVD and use the physical DVD drive of the Hyper-V Server to see if that gets over it.

There used to be lots of problems during the 2008 R2 timeframe with folks having corrupt ISO images, or the images were not 'closed' properly.  This in turn caused problems like yours.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:17 PM