none
X86 drivers on 64 bit server 2008

Question

• I'm attempting to setup a single line fax for Server 2008 64 bit. I got the drivers installed, can send/recieve faxes just fine. But the computers that are attempting to use the fax are all 32 bit XP machines. Attempts to hit the "additonal drivers" option and install x86 drivers gets the "improper architecture" error. I've attempted to use the mfg 32 bit drivers, but it's a no-go, same error. I've read plenty of threads about using the files off of an existing server 2008 32 bit, or Vista 32 bit, but I have neither. I have access to plenty of XP machines, my own 64 bit Win 7, and the 64 bit server 2008. It just boggles my mind that it won't implement 32 bit drivers, a 2 minute fix and I've been scouring for hours and reading threads trying to fix a 2 click problem. Any ideas, or do I have go to go goodwill and pay for an old vista machine to pull files off?
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When installing printer driver, Windows will check the Ntprint.inf file and verify if the installed driver has an exact name which matches to one of the names in the Ntprint.inf file.

As we know, the model of printer driver must match OS platform. If OS is 64 bit, we can only directly install 64 bit printer driver on it. What OS model of Windows server 2008 server are you using ? 64 bit or 32 bit?

To install 32 bit driver on 64 bit OS, we need to click "additional driver" option in printer properties dialogue to add 32 bit driver. If this fails, please follow the steps below to add this 32 bit driver on 64 bit printer server:

1.On any one of the clients machine running 32-bit OS
    2.Access the print server \\PrintserverName\Printers
    3.Open the printer required to add the 32-bit driver
    4.Go to properties
    5.Sharing Tab
    6.Additional drivers
    7.check the box for x86 for windows 2000,windows xp and windows 2003
    8.click ok

If it ends up with "this is not supportive method", in most case, this indicates the printer driver is incompatible with 64 bit OS. You may need to try the following method to add a local printer:

1. Install the Vista X32bit printer driver on your Windows Vista computer.

2. During installation, you'll be prompted to connect the printer to your computer. Choose the option to proceed with installation without connecting the printer.

3. After installation completes, open the Printers wizard from the Windows Vista Control Panel.

4. Right click on the entry for the new printer, and choose Properties.

5. Go to the Ports tab.

6. Click Add Port, select Local Port, then click New Port.

7. For the port name, enter the network path and share name of your printer ("\\TheirComputer\TheirPrinter1").

8. Click OK, and verify that the new port is selected.

9. Click OK to close the printer properties.

Please test the result.

Tom Zhang

如果您对我们的论坛在线支持服务有任何的意见或建议,请通过邮件告诉我们。
    Description: Description: TechNet 论坛好帮手立刻免费下载  TechNet 论坛好帮手

Tom Zhang – MSFT
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:05 PM

All replies

• So, I take that as a no. I'm noticing through my extensive reading on server 2008 R2 that 32 bit support was purposefully left out. Apparently, the only bridge is to have a Vista machine, or a server 2008 with 32 bit on it work as a translator. I'm just grasping at straws, I gather I'll either have to inform the site to shell out 50 grand for new computers with 64 bit OS, or scrounge up a 32 bit Vista machine somewhere.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

When installing printer driver, Windows will check the Ntprint.inf file and verify if the installed driver has an exact name which matches to one of the names in the Ntprint.inf file.

As we know, the model of printer driver must match OS platform. If OS is 64 bit, we can only directly install 64 bit printer driver on it. What OS model of Windows server 2008 server are you using ? 64 bit or 32 bit?

To install 32 bit driver on 64 bit OS, we need to click "additional driver" option in printer properties dialogue to add 32 bit driver. If this fails, please follow the steps below to add this 32 bit driver on 64 bit printer server:

1.On any one of the clients machine running 32-bit OS
    2.Access the print server \\PrintserverName\Printers
    3.Open the printer required to add the 32-bit driver
    4.Go to properties
    5.Sharing Tab
    6.Additional drivers
    7.check the box for x86 for windows 2000,windows xp and windows 2003
    8.click ok

If it ends up with "this is not supportive method", in most case, this indicates the printer driver is incompatible with 64 bit OS. You may need to try the following method to add a local printer:

1. Install the Vista X32bit printer driver on your Windows Vista computer.

2. During installation, you'll be prompted to connect the printer to your computer. Choose the option to proceed with installation without connecting the printer.

3. After installation completes, open the Printers wizard from the Windows Vista Control Panel.

4. Right click on the entry for the new printer, and choose Properties.

5. Go to the Ports tab.

6. Click Add Port, select Local Port, then click New Port.

7. For the port name, enter the network path and share name of your printer ("\\TheirComputer\TheirPrinter1").

8. Click OK, and verify that the new port is selected.

9. Click OK to close the printer properties.

Please test the result.

Tom Zhang

如果您对我们的论坛在线支持服务有任何的意见或建议,请通过邮件告诉我们。
    Description: Description: TechNet 论坛好帮手立刻免费下载  TechNet 论坛好帮手

Tom Zhang – MSFT
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:05 PM