none
Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain

Question

• When i tried to change password then got this message"Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain"

But i fulfill all requirements and try to change policy.But not work.

Thanks, Limon Dhaka,Bangladesh

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:45 AM

Answers

•  

You need to check your domain policy to see what the requirments are.

Most of the times you can not use any part of your first and last name in the password.

Passwords that you have previously used, (depends on your password history how far it goes back 12, 24 passwords)

You must have one "Capital" letter and one special character like $,#,% etc...

All of this above will depend on your domain specific policy requirments.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

do you changed the password in the last 24 hours? So you have to wait for changing it again... or you change it via "ADUC" Reset Password. You can also change the password policy to allow pw changes everytime. Its the value "Minimum password age" in "WIndows Settings/Security Settings/Account Policies/Password Policy".

Kind regards,

Tim
    MCITP, MCTS
    http://directoryadmin.blogspot.com

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

"If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

• Edited by butim Monday, February 18, 2013 8:55 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sp0oner Friday, June 20, 2014 1:10 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Hi,

The default password policy requirements:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc264456.aspx

By default, the value for this policy setting in Windows Server 2008 is configured to Disabled, but it is set to Enabled in a Windows Server 2008 domain.

You could refer to :

http://thebackroomtech.com/2008/03/10/windows-server-2008-password-complexity-requirements/

Please try again. If any help, please feel free to let us know.

Regards.

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:31 AM
  • All is ok. password length, minimum password age, exception all. But unfortunately unable to change password.

Thanks, Limon Dhaka,Bangladesh

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:44 PM
  •  

You need to check your domain policy to see what the requirments are.

Most of the times you can not use any part of your first and last name in the password.

Passwords that you have previously used, (depends on your password history how far it goes back 12, 24 passwords)

You must have one "Capital" letter and one special character like $,#,% etc...

All of this above will depend on your domain specific policy requirments.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Hi Brano,

I have tried with 24 length password with alpha numeric and uses special character. But all time show this error.

Thanks, Limon ,Dhaka,Bangladesh

Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:08 PM
  • I've got the same problem.  Just installed 2008R2 eval for some testing...it is a stand alone fresh install and I've tried ridiculously complex passwords...nothing.  Also, it is telling me it doesn't meet the complexity requirements of the domain...it isn't in a domain.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:28 PM
  • I also installed 2 Fresh domain controllers then I created a GPO my organization users OU. I disabled the password complexity requirements but it was still giving that complexity message when users wana change their passwords. I solved it by editing the domain controllers local Local Computer Policy.

MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, CCNA, CCNP.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:46 PM
  • ....I created a GPO my organization users OU. I disabled the password complexity requirements but it was still giving that complexity message.....

This will never work. You can only have a single password policy in a domain, and, that password policy must be linked to the domain object, or, to the domain controllers OU.
    This is because the password policy must be applied to the domain controllers, and not to the user objects.
    Password policy settings, are only applied by the domain controllers.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, October 20, 2013 8:34 PM
  • thx man it works!!!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:17 AM
  • I had the same issue. The issue turned out to be the Minimum password age. I changed this to "0" (allows you to change password straight away) and did a gpupdate /force on the client PC and error went away. 

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Account Policies\Password Policy

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 6:30 AM
  • that worked for me thank you
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:23 PM