none
Questions on using FSMT

Question

• Dears,

I am Migrating a file server from Forest to another Forest

Environment:

Source Forest: (Its only a Windows 2008 Server having shared folders and Permission for users and groups, No File Service OR DFS is installed).

Target Forest: (2 Windows 2008 R2 Servers Running File Server Role with DFS-R, Replication for Server1 Drive D to Server2 Drive D)

Current Situation:

Groups and users are migrated successfully using ADMT 3.2 from source forest to target forests, users are able to access files on file server in source forest.

My Questions:

1-      Do I have to Configure DFS Conciliation Root Wizard “Which belong to FSMT”?? p.s. remember source Forest does not have DFS, its only single server with no file server role, its only shared folders.

2-      IF YES, in DFS Conciliation Root Wizard Page Servers to consolidate what should I provide in the following fields:

1. Original Computer name and DNS Suffix: “Is it source Server Name or Target Root DFS Server Name? or is it Source DC or Target DC?”
    2. Current name: ““Is it source Server Name or Target Root DFS Server Name? or is it Source DC or Target DC?””

3-      In File Server Migration Root Wizard In New Project > In DFS Consolidation Root Server Page should I select Use the following DFS Root Server??? Which server should I provide?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you select the Copy security settings option, the File Server Migration Wizard copies all security settings for files, folders, and shared folders, including NTFS file system permissions, auditing, ownership, and shared folder permissions. If you also select the Resolve invalid security descriptors option, the wizard cleans up security descriptors whose security identifiers (SIDs) cannot be resolved on the target file server.

For details:

[DOC] Microsoft Whitepaper
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6/3/963f5b22-6304-4f15-a2af-35e0b81046af/FSMT%20Whitepaper.doc

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

Elytis Cheng

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. No, you needn't.

The DFS Consolidation Root Wizard reduces the impact of file server consolidation or migration on end users by maintaining the original Universal Naming Convention (UNC) paths of files and folders after they are copied to a new server. Because the original UNC paths are maintained, you do not need to inform users about new server names, and line-of-business applications as well as shortcuts and OLE links in user files and e-mail messages continue to work after the consolidation or migration is complete.

Please refer the following article to migrate share folder:

Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit 1.2 available as a free download
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2009/06/30/microsoft-file-server-migration-toolkit-1-2-available-as-a-free-download.aspx

How do I use the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit (FSMT)?
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/file-systems/how-do-i-use-the-microsoft-file-server-migration-toolkit-fsmt-

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

Elytis Cheng

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

1. No, you needn't.

The DFS Consolidation Root Wizard reduces the impact of file server consolidation or migration on end users by maintaining the original Universal Naming Convention (UNC) paths of files and folders after they are copied to a new server. Because the original UNC paths are maintained, you do not need to inform users about new server names, and line-of-business applications as well as shortcuts and OLE links in user files and e-mail messages continue to work after the consolidation or migration is complete.

Please refer the following article to migrate share folder:

Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit 1.2 available as a free download
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2009/06/30/microsoft-file-server-migration-toolkit-1-2-available-as-a-free-download.aspx

How do I use the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit (FSMT)?
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/file-systems/how-do-i-use-the-microsoft-file-server-migration-toolkit-fsmt-

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

Elytis Cheng

Well, I did the migration for Files and folders, everything now in the new forest, but I the security was not migrated! test user is getting access denied!, Do FSMT migrate the security? if not what should i user to migrate it?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

If you select the Copy security settings option, the File Server Migration Wizard copies all security settings for files, folders, and shared folders, including NTFS file system permissions, auditing, ownership, and shared folder permissions. If you also select the Resolve invalid security descriptors option, the wizard cleans up security descriptors whose security identifiers (SIDs) cannot be resolved on the target file server.

For details:

[DOC] Microsoft Whitepaper
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6/3/963f5b22-6304-4f15-a2af-35e0b81046af/FSMT%20Whitepaper.doc

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

Elytis Cheng

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Well, Here is my comment:

Your last answer is totaly correct.

I have tested the tool for 2nd time, everything went as expected.

The 1st time I ran the test the check box "Copy Security Settings" was enabled (I review that in the snapshots taken while testing), but i do not know why it could not copy the security! Anyway it is not an issue for me since second time the migration was success.

Thanks alot for your kind support

Friday, April 13, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Hi Jean,

Glad to hear that the issue had been resolved!

Best Regards

Elytis Cheng

Elytis Cheng

Friday, April 13, 2012 8:11 AM