none
Windows Server backup

Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows server 2008 R2 with 3 HDDs.

HDD 1 OS + Fileserver

HDD 2 Backup disk 1 local

HDD 3 Backup disk 2 (iSCSI) remote location

I have configured windows server backup (VSS Copy backup) to copy the file server portion of HDD1 every night. I have added both HDD2 and 3 as backup destinations in the GUI but the backups are only being written to HDD2. How do I configure windows server backup to write to both disks at the same time?

Regard Marcus

Saturday, April 06, 2013 8:36 AM

Answers

• Hello,

If both hard drives are added to the media set, then the backup will back up to both, backups will be spanned across the media as storage is needed.

If you want mirrored backups, you will need remove the job you currently have and  run two separate backup jobs and specifiy the hard drive media  you want to use for each backup.

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    Web Site | Blog

• Marked as answer by Marcus_99 Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:09 PM
    Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hello Marcus_99,
    I think you cannot; I suggest to backup to HDD 2 by using Windows Server Backup, and then synchronize HDD 2 content with HDD 3 (e.g. Robocopy utility).

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Luca Fabbri Saturday, April 06, 2013 11:41 AM
    Saturday, April 06, 2013 11:41 AM
  • Hello,

If both hard drives are added to the media set, then the backup will back up to both, backups will be spanned across the media as storage is needed.

If you want mirrored backups, you will need remove the job you currently have and  run two separate backup jobs and specifiy the hard drive media  you want to use for each backup.

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    Web Site | Blog

• Marked as answer by Marcus_99 Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:09 PM
    Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Thank you!

"you will need remove the job you currently have and  run two separate backup jobs", do you know of an good guides for this?

Regards

Marcus

Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Hello Marcus_99,
    TechNet Library links:

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 12:12 PM