none
MSMQ and clustering

Question

• being completely new to MSMQ and clustering, I am wondering if it is possible to still use MSMQ using private queues and not using active directory? I understand to set up clustering you need to have the machines joined to a domain/AD but what about MSMQ? (this is why I am creating the clustering system primarily). can MSMQ still remain to work as private queues?

can it work "normally" as if the machine was not joined to the domain?

Thanks.

C# MVP (2007-2010) MS Vendor - MS All the way! Follower since 1995 MS Super Evangelist| MSDN Forums Moderator

Sunday, April 22, 2012 8:06 PM

Answers

• As far as private/public queues are concerned, it has got nothing in relation to clustering. What i mean here is that, clustering MSMQ will provide you a highly available solution in the event of any failure on one of the nodes.

You can definitely use private queues when MSMQ is clustered. When you cluster the MSMQ service, it will work virtually as an independent machine. So i believe you should be able to work with it as long as you have the access to the queues.

Thanks

Sudhir

• Marked as answer by ahmedilyas Monday, April 23, 2012 8:05 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 4:40 AM

All replies

• As far as private/public queues are concerned, it has got nothing in relation to clustering. What i mean here is that, clustering MSMQ will provide you a highly available solution in the event of any failure on one of the nodes.

You can definitely use private queues when MSMQ is clustered. When you cluster the MSMQ service, it will work virtually as an independent machine. So i believe you should be able to work with it as long as you have the access to the queues.

Thanks

Sudhir

• Marked as answer by ahmedilyas Monday, April 23, 2012 8:05 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 4:40 AM
  • thank you, thats great

C# MVP (2007-2010) MS Vendor - MS All the way! Follower since 1995 MS Super Evangelist| MSDN Forums Moderator

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:05 AM
  • So how does this actually work? I mean, when clustering, does the physical storage get routed to a central point? or is data stored normally on the physical nodes and they get mirrored to other nodes in the cluster?

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Following might help... 

Building an MSMQ Cluster 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mismail/archive/2007/04/18/building-an-msmq-cluster.aspx 

Clustering MSMQ applications - rule #1 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/johnbreakwell/archive/2008/02/18/clustering-msmq-applications-rule-1.aspx

A UNIVERSE without WINDOWS is CHAOS !

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

About Me !!!

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:17 AM