none
Data downloads corrupted by Windows Server 2008R2 using NAT on RRAS

General discussion

• We have three branches in our company.  Two use TMG/ISA, one uses RRAS on Windows 2008 and one uses RRAS on Windows 2008R2 for outside access.

Whenever somebody downloads a file from the internet (NAT) at the Windows Server 2008R2 branch, more often than not the files are corrupted.  They are the right size, but they will not open/run like they should.  If we transfer files over the VPN connections this does not happen.

On the servers with TMG/ISA and Windows 2008 this is not an issue.  There is no need for TMG at this branch, and would hate to spend the $$$ for it just to fix what I believe to be some kind of IP stack issue.  For now they have gone back to an older Windows 2003 server and it is working just fine, but I'd really like to get them up to the latest server technology.

I haven't found solutions to this via searching, and am wondering if this is a known issue or am I in a minority of people using Windows Server 2008R2 RRAS for NAT?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

• Changed type Tiger Li Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:31 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Doug,

Thanks for posting here.

Which protocol was been used for transferring data form NAT branch site through internet ? FTP or HTTP ? have you compared the CRC or MD5 of file that was been downloaded from remote site with the original one ?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/tags/nat/

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Unfortunately I'm not at that office now, so running tests won't be possible.  I'll have to set up a testing server and run some tests locally.

I did do a CRC check at the time on some files and they were different.  But I don't have any specifics.  Most of the downloads via IE were flagged as being unsafe when I downloaded them while the 2008R2 server.  None of the same files were flagged that way when downloaded under the 2003 server.

Obviously by the lack of responses here this isn't a common issue.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:56 AM
  • It may be an IE9 issue, rather than an operating system issue. Try disabling the popup blocker, put the site in the Trusted Zones so it doesn't flag it as unsafe. See if that helps.

Ace

And off topic - I accidentally clicked on "Vote" for the original post. Therefore, this question is directed to Tiger - How do I "unvote" a vote? I can't seem to find it in the help section. Thanks! :-)

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Ok, getting back to this problem ... finally.

I reinstalled 2008R2 from scratch and the problem persists.  Ran all the updates and the problem persists.

I have three gateways running RRAS.  One is 2003, one is 2008, and one is 2008R2.  Using the same browser/session, I can download all day long from the 2003/2008 gateways.  I cannot get it to download anything using the 2008R2 gateway.  It either finishes up after 6 or 8 MB ( it's a 97 MB file ), or I get the error:

"The data area passed to a system call is too small."

I guess I'm going to have to open a support call with MS.  Strange that this doesn't work.  If I install TMG the problem goes away.

Thanks anyway,

Doug

Monday, August 15, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Thank you for the update. Interesting it's isolated to specifically 2008 R2. Looking forward to Microsoft PSS' results.

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Well, I'm afraid I won't make it that far.  I've tried the same thing on my laptop using VMWare and no issues with any of the server OS versions.  I've tried it on two other servers using Hyper-V, no issues on either of them. 

So, it seems that it has something to do with this particular server.  I'm going to play with the Network Adapter settings and see if I can't figure out what's different.  I do believe this one server is mixing Intel GB with Broadcom GB adapters whereas the rest have only Broadcom.

Why it works with everything but 2008R2, I don't know.  But hopefully I'll be able to narrow it down the more I test.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hmm Interesting. I assume no AV or security software is installed that may be causing or contributing?

I assume you're talking about the interfaces on the hos withmixed network adapters.

Ace Fekay

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:35 PM
  • It's definitely an advanced networking configuration issue with our Intel Gigabit ET Quadport card.  It's the only difference between two of our servers.  I'll have to hunt down the setting and try to figure it out.  I'll probably go over to the Intel boards and ask for some guidance there.

Thanks anyway!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:41 AM
  • I would be curious what it is. I hope you can nail it down.

Ace Fekay

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:59 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue. Did you ever found out what was causing it?

In my case, it's a development laptop with Win2K8R2 and Hyper-V. I use RRAS to connect the local Hyper-V network to internet. This allows me to connect to the internet from my VM's, no matter to what network I'm connected (and no matter if it's Wired or Wireless).

I too run into the corrupted download issue a lot. Downloading the same files on the host - so without passing through RRAS always works fine.

I have the feeling it only happens when I'm working at home, but I'm not 100% sure. This would mean RRAS would fail in combination with my home network.

Sven

Sven De Bont - MCAD/MCTS http://blog.sdbonline.com

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:22 AM
  • I never did figure out what exactly was happening.  I did try switching from Intel GB to the Broadcom GB cards, and it was still an issue.  The branch did switch ISPs and the problem magically went away. 

Oh well, I'm guessing this is an issue that I'll never figure out now that the probable source is out of the equation.

Thanks anyway!

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:22 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue. Did you ever found out what was causing it?

In my case, it's a development laptop with Win2K8R2 and Hyper-V. I use RRAS to connect the local Hyper-V network to internet. This allows me to connect to the internet from my VM's, no matter to what network I'm connected (and no matter if it's Wired or Wireless).

I too run into the corrupted download issue a lot. Downloading the same files on the host - so without passing through RRAS always works fine.

I have the feeling it only happens when I'm working at home, but I'm not 100% sure. This would mean RRAS would fail in combination with my home network.

Sven

In the mean time, I installed Windows Server 2012 on the laptop with RRAS, and still experience the same issue...

Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Nope, we never did figure it out.  I don't know if the MTU is changing in RRAS?  Or if the problem is solely ISP based.  All I know is when we changed ISPs, the problem went away instantly without me having to do anything more.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Nope, we never did figure it out.  I don't know if the MTU is changing in RRAS?  Or if the problem is solely ISP based.  All I know is when we changed ISPs, the problem went away instantly without me having to do anything more.

Based on your assessment, it appears it's the ISP. Curious, what ISP was it?

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Technical Blogs & Videos: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Friday, January 11, 2013 5:21 AM