How do I DISABLE "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for NIC Power Management?

Question

• I want this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837058

For SERVER 2008 R2! 

The above article only works for XP and these options/reg keys are not available for Server 2008 R2. 

For the life of me, I can't find the reg edit I can do to apply this. :( 

I need to script this, so will need anything but instructions on how to "uncheck" this checkbox manually. ;) 

Any help is truly appreciated.

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 5:33 PM

Answers

• Hi TechAny

Please checking the registry setting with follow  steps

1、    navigate  to the patch blow with registry editor.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\

2、    Under this patch you can see a few keys which named like “00000001…..”, and there is a string value called “DriverDesc” under each key. You can search the key one by one with this string value to determine which key is belong to your physic NIC(in my test environment,0007 is my physic NIC’s key )

3、    Navigate to  physic NIC’s key, check the “PnPCapabilities” value which type is  DWORD(32-bit). If not exist ,you can change the static of the NIC’s power Management in UI, then the key will created automatically.

4、    Set the value to “18”  and close the registry editor , disable and  enable the NIC to make the setting  effect .

5、    check the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” static of NIC power setting , it should unchecked.

I have tested the setting ,and it worked. My test environment  is windows server 2008 R2 and windows 7.

Thanks

Tiger Li

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:02 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:20 AM
  • I believe 38 works just as good on server 2008r2.

I was curious on what influenced you to use 18 as a value.  ?? :)

Maybe it had a different impact on windows 7/2008?

Hi techandy

The PnPCapabilities registry value contains many settings. The “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option should only be one of the settings. In my test machine, when the “Allow…” option is disabled, the PnPCapabilities value is 0x00000018; when the option is enabled, the PnPCapabilities value is 0x00000000.

After reading your test result, I set the value to “0x00000008” and it also disable the “Allow….”!

So I think that 4th binary bit of the PnPCapabilities value controls whether the option is enabled.

Thanks

Tiger Li

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:08 AM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:07 AM

All replies

• Anyone have any ideas?

I would think a registry key would exist somewhere that can uncheck this checkbox for me??? ;)

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 4:17 PM
  • Hi TechAndy

After reading your post I understand you are going to change the power manager setting via script in windows 2008 R2.
    If I misunderstand it , please let me know.

In windows 2008 R2, you can achieve the goal by editing “PnPCapabilities” key.
    This key could be created manually or you could just check and uncheck the NIC’s power Management’s static , then the key will be created automatically.
    Based on my study, in order to disable the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” network adapter setting in Windows 7/2008R2,you should change the value date to “18” base Hexadecimal.

Below is an article about how to changing NIC powers setting via different methods in windows 7, but it also applies to windows 2008 R2.

Power Management for Network Devices in Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617165(WS.10).aspx

If you have any difficulty customizing the script, I suggest to creating a new post in The Official Scripting Guys Forum! They are the best resource for scripting related problems.

Link to the Official Scripting Guys Forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/threads

Thanks

Tiger Li

Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:51 AM
  • What is the registry path for the  "PnPCapabilities" key? 
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Does anyone else find this Enabled item questionable?

Especially for a production server or even a Domain Controller

Just to save a couple bucks, why would you EVER want to risk even the possibility of turning off the NIC?

What if it doesn't turn back on and then you require a hard reset? 

Anyone have additional suggestions and whey they anticipate on doing with their production servers - pertaining to this particular Power Management feature? 

Thanks!

Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:44 PM
  • What is the registry path for the  "PnPCapabilities" key? 

Hi TechAndy

the patch is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\DeviceNumber

Note :

DeviceNumber is the network adapter number. You can find the physic NIC 's DeviceNumber with the "DriverDesc" string which is located under each DriverNumber Key.

Thanks

Tiger Li

Friday, May 07, 2010 6:36 AM
  • Just want to be sure I create the correct data. 

Is this going to be a newly created registry "Key" and then modify the value for "(Default)"?  Or REG_DWORD, REG_SZ, REG_BINARY, etc.?

Thanks!

Friday, May 07, 2010 5:19 PM
  • Hmmm. 

Tried all options, and doesn't seem to be working. 

Have you tested this?

Friday, May 07, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Hi TechAny

Please checking the registry setting with follow  steps

1、    navigate  to the patch blow with registry editor.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\

2、    Under this patch you can see a few keys which named like “00000001…..”, and there is a string value called “DriverDesc” under each key. You can search the key one by one with this string value to determine which key is belong to your physic NIC(in my test environment,0007 is my physic NIC’s key )

3、    Navigate to  physic NIC’s key, check the “PnPCapabilities” value which type is  DWORD(32-bit). If not exist ,you can change the static of the NIC’s power Management in UI, then the key will created automatically.

4、    Set the value to “18”  and close the registry editor , disable and  enable the NIC to make the setting  effect .

5、    check the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” static of NIC power setting , it should unchecked.

I have tested the setting ,and it worked. My test environment  is windows server 2008 R2 and windows 7.

Thanks

Tiger Li

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:02 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Hello Tiger Li,

It worked! :) 

I needed to create the PnPCapabilities key though and modify the value. 

And mine was under the "0007" as well.

I noticed that is also uncheck the "Wake the cumputer" option as well. :(

Is it possible to modify ONLY unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"??? 

WOL I thought was BIOS level anyway, so don't know why this other option is even there.  Hmmm.  But was thinking it has it's purpose, so leaving the WOL part would be a good idea.

Monday, May 10, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Does anyone else find this Enabled item questionable??????????????

Especially for a production server or even a Domain Controller .

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Hey Tiger,

I noticed that this M$ KB http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837058  says that you need to put in a value of 38. 

Why do you recommend "18"???

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Hello Tiger Li,

It worked! :) 

I needed to create the PnPCapabilities key though and modify the value. 

And mine was under the "0007" as well.

I noticed that is also uncheck the "Wake the cumputer" option as well. :(

Is it possible to modify ONLY unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"??? 

WOL I thought was BIOS level anyway, so don't know why this other option is even there.  Hmmm.  But was thinking it has it's purpose, so leaving the WOL part would be a good idea.

Hi TechAndy

Glad that worked!

Base my knowledge, I think it’s no necessary to do this .

Because when you disable “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”, then the “allow this device to wake the computer” and “only allow a magic packet to wake the computer” option are all can’t be changed.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Hey Tiger,

I noticed that this M$ KB http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837058  says that you need to put in a value of 38. 

Why do you recommend "18"???

Hi techandy

As you said in your first post, the KB 837058 is applies to windows XP

According my test result, change the “PnPCapabilities” value to “18” should achieve your goal in windows 7/2008

Here is an KB article for you reference

Power Management for Network Devices in Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617165(WS.10).aspx

Thanks

Tiger Li

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:02 AM
  • But I guess if you don't expect to use WoL (why would any ever need this on a production "server"), then it shouldn't be a problem. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.  :)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:13 PM

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:14 PM

Hi techandy

The PnPCapabilities registry value contains many settings. The “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option should only be one of the settings. In my test machine, when the “Allow…” option is disabled, the PnPCapabilities value is 0x00000018; when the option is enabled, the PnPCapabilities value is 0x00000000.

After reading your test result, I set the value to “0x00000008” and it also disable the “Allow….”!

So I think that 4th binary bit of the PnPCapabilities value controls whether the option is enabled.

Thanks

Tiger Li

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:08 AM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Ah. I see. 

Thank you for the information. 

You da man! :)

Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:01 AM
  • You're being too nice. This default setting is not "questionable", it's deplorable. Shutting off NICs in production servers simply to "save power" should never, never happen and should not be the default in Windows Server 2008 or any other server product. It functions poorly in desktops and laptops on Vista and 7 and is a total disaster in Server 2008. Microsoft if you're listening, this needs a KB article and a patch, as it's a very serious bug.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:50 PM
  • lol. Thank you for that info. 

Hopefully Microsoft listen's, but like most of us who want sh*** done correctly, it take forever to make it happen, so a work-around is the only option. :(

I've integrated this registry change into our MAIN build process, so good enough for now. 

Ugh, M$.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Can a Microsoft Engineer answer the question as to why this would ever be enabled by default on a Windows server? 

At least add in the automation of disabling this when a Domain Controller is promoted....???

Any feedback would be truly appreciated. :)

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Commmmon M$ engineers. Please explain to us why this option is enabled by default on a "SERVER"! ???
    Friday, May 28, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Pretty please? :)
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:32 PM