none
Uninstall WSUS - SBS 2003

Question

• Using SBS 2003 R2: For quite some time,  I had held off installing WSUS 3.0 SP2.0 although it is listed as a "High Priority" update on the Windows Update site, because I thought it would be overkill for use on our 15 computer network. After installing it and doing a synchronization, I realize that I was probably right and it may be more hassle than it's worth.

What is the best way to uninstall it--through Add/Remove Programs or is there a special utility?  Most of the posts I have read so far indicate problems when uninstalling and then re-installing, but I have not seen any known issues on just uninstalling.

And also, I believe the update I installed was an upgrade to a previous version of WSUS that was already installed on the Server -- probably the original installation version---since it is SBS R2, does it have to have SOME version of WSUS installed?

Maybe I should justleave this upgrade alone (ie, continue manually updating server and clients)

Thanks!

• Edited by porbar Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:56 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• A long time ago, for the release of WSUS v3, I wrote a white paper for Microsoft about WSUS and SBS2003. One of the things I covered in that white paper was the upgrade/migration scenarios from SBS2003R2 with WSUS v2 to WSUS v3. That paper is available from

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/5/7/e578cebc-0533-4baa-bbef-f9e3f36e1976/wsus3_small_business_server_2003_networks.doc

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Ok-I'll look that over. I really should just get used to it, but when it initally shows several computers after the first synchronization, without SP1 for Windows7 and SP3 for XP, I was like why this is going to be a pain! And also showed several PCs without other updates when I know they are ok...and another thing, all of those unapproved updates that are already installed...how to rectify that mess...

I suppose once you weed through these various issues, more reading on my part which is fine, all will be well in WSUS land...

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:17 PM