none
8.1 Powershell GPO logon script not running

Question

• Hi All,

I know that there may not be too many of you out there that are deploying 8.1 yet as its still pretty early days however I am running into a problem in that powershell scripts defined in a GPO that run as a logon process do not appear to run. Traditional scripts run (i.e vbs)

The script was and is still working fine in windows 8. I have tested with an 8.1 RTM as well as our custom image for OS deployment.

The powershell execution policy is set to remote signed and the script has been signed correctly. Running the script in a powershell console works (as mentioned it runs on 8).

RSOP shows the script should be running. In the same group policy I have a startup powershell script that is signed and it works.

The signed certificate is from our internal PKI which is a trusted Root certificate and as mentioned the signing does work as the startup script runs correctly

Anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Friday, November 15, 2013 2:36 AM

Answers

• I found a solution to this one. There was nothing wrong with the script, however new 8.1/2012R2 group policies have been setup which default the delay for startup scripts to 5 minutes. If I had sat and waited for 5 minutes the script would have run.

There is, fortunately, a way to either disable this feature altogether, or reduce the delay between user logon and when scripts run: the policy at Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Configure Logon Script Delay

Always fun dealing with new "features" of operating systems.

http://www.petri.co.il/group-policy-in-windows-8-1-new-features.htm

• Marked as answer by PeterGGG Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:26 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Regarding the current issue, you mentioned RSOP shows the script has been applied to these Windows 8.1 clients, would you please provide me the information to narrow down the cause of it?

GPMC.log

==================

a. On domain controller, click Start ->Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console.

b. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

c. Right click  the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report to save the report to a HTML file.

In addition, have you tried to turn off UAC to see if it could work? Would you please also provide the PowerShell script in the PowerShell forum to check if it needs to be modified?

Thanks .

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:04 AM
  • I found a solution to this one. There was nothing wrong with the script, however new 8.1/2012R2 group policies have been setup which default the delay for startup scripts to 5 minutes. If I had sat and waited for 5 minutes the script would have run.

There is, fortunately, a way to either disable this feature altogether, or reduce the delay between user logon and when scripts run: the policy at Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Configure Logon Script Delay

Always fun dealing with new "features" of operating systems.

http://www.petri.co.il/group-policy-in-windows-8-1-new-features.htm

• Marked as answer by PeterGGG Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:26 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:26 AM