none
Office 2003 to Office 2007 Upgrade

Question

• Hello all.

First off, I'd like to apologize in advance if this is not the right forum to post my questions.

Again, as non-Windows admin and in the process of learning to be one, I've been asked to investigate what it would take to upgrade our Office 2003 to 2007.

We have Windows 2003 Server running Exchange and about 100 desktop with Office 2003.

Questions:

- Roughly how much would it cost to upgrade 100 desktops(CALS volume licensing)

- Does the Windows 2003 Server OS needs upgrade?

- Does Exchange needs upgrade?

- Does the desktop running Windows XP Pro SP2 OS needs upgrade?

- What's the simplest way to push upgrades to desktops?

I will be doing an extensive google search on this event but I thought I'd asked the expert first.

Any suggestion or tips is much appreciated.

Thanks!

jav

Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:12 PM

Answers

• Well, to answer some of these questions (presuming from your subject line you want to upgrade Office only):

1) Office 2007 is an independant purchase. Street pricing applies based upon version you want (Office 2007 home, professional, student, etc) There are no cals to purchase.

2) 2003 server upgrade? No.  The file/exchange server(s) does not care what office product you are running.

3) You can use Outlook 2007 (that comes with the Office 2007) to access Exchange 2003 server without issue.

4) XP Pro (sp2) will run Office 2007 without issue.

5) Best way to upgrade?  Well, matter of opinion but, I would look at using the office 2007 resource kit to custom-build what you wish to have and not have installed (ie. maybe not everyone needs MS Access installed).  After that, you put that onto a server, go to each machine and install.

If you want a bit more fancy than that, you could look into Microsoft's BDD (Business Desktop Deployment).  I'm old school and had not bothered :)

Thanks,

James

• Marked as answer by 68javelin Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by 68javelin Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by 68javelin Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:21 PM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:40 PM

All replies

• Well, to answer some of these questions (presuming from your subject line you want to upgrade Office only):

1) Office 2007 is an independant purchase. Street pricing applies based upon version you want (Office 2007 home, professional, student, etc) There are no cals to purchase.

2) 2003 server upgrade? No.  The file/exchange server(s) does not care what office product you are running.

3) You can use Outlook 2007 (that comes with the Office 2007) to access Exchange 2003 server without issue.

4) XP Pro (sp2) will run Office 2007 without issue.

5) Best way to upgrade?  Well, matter of opinion but, I would look at using the office 2007 resource kit to custom-build what you wish to have and not have installed (ie. maybe not everyone needs MS Access installed).  After that, you put that onto a server, go to each machine and install.

If you want a bit more fancy than that, you could look into Microsoft's BDD (Business Desktop Deployment).  I'm old school and had not bothered :)

Thanks,

James

• Marked as answer by 68javelin Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by 68javelin Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by 68javelin Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:21 PM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Awesome, thanks! I can't make up my mind whether it's "answer" or not but since you answered most of it, I'll take it as an answer..lol :)

Anyway, I feel a little bit more confident now knowing I can minimize my screw-ups...hehee :)

jav

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Does anyone know if the Office upgrade can be customized using MST/REF file with proper setup configuration? I learned how to push Reader 9 to all desktop using group policy and mst file from Adobe and wondering if this can be done with the Office upgrade?

jav

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Thanks for responding.  As for the MST/REF file, I'm not sure about that.  I am not really familiar with that question.

James

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:47 PM