none
IE8 Update conflict with Windows XP SP2

Question

• We have some computers that still have SP2 of Windows XP.  I have tried to install IE8 manually on these machines but the installer hangs.  Once a computer is on SP3, it installs fine.  I have also noticed that with our WSUS server, the clients are unable to install SP3 because they try and run the IE8 update prior to the SP3 install.  The client's windowsupdate log says that the IE8 update installed successfully, but it does not.  The next line says that it will schedule the SP3 upgrade the next day.  Unfortunately, the next day it tries to reinstall IE8 again.  I have disapproved the IE8 install for the WSUS group to see if it will favor the SP3 install.  This evening I will see if this solves the issue.  Has anyone experienced this issue?  Is there a way to set the service packs on a higher priority in WSUS?
    • Edited by Seth.Seth Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:26 PM spelling error
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:58 PM

Answers

• We have some computers that still have SP2 of Windows XP.  I have tried to install IE8 manually on these machines but the installer hangs.  Once a computer is on SP3, it installs fine.
    No great surprise there!
    I have also noticed that with our WSUS server, the clients are unable to install SP3 because they try and run the IE8 update prior to the SP3 install.
    Create a Target Group for XP SP2 systems, and approve ONLY the Windows XP Service Pack 3 update.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

I suggest you target a group named WINXP SP2,and pull all the XP SP2 computer into it,and then approve the SP3 update file to install on the client.

After all the XP has been developed into SP3,then approve the IE 8 in wsus to install completely.

In addition, you can not set a priority when you approve them together.

Best regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:11 AM
  • As I suspected when I disapproved the IE8 install the SP3 update was able to install.  I created another WSUS group called "Windows XP SP2."  I also created another GPO to change the client group target and set it with a higher priority.  I applied a WMI filter to this GPO for Windows XP SP2 stations so that they are relocated to the proper WSUS group.  For the Windows XP SP2 computer group I approved the SP3 upgrade.  With these group policy settings they should move in and out of this computer group as they are updated. 
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:36 PM

All replies

• We have some computers that still have SP2 of Windows XP.  I have tried to install IE8 manually on these machines but the installer hangs.  Once a computer is on SP3, it installs fine.
    No great surprise there!
    I have also noticed that with our WSUS server, the clients are unable to install SP3 because they try and run the IE8 update prior to the SP3 install.
    Create a Target Group for XP SP2 systems, and approve ONLY the Windows XP Service Pack 3 update.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

I suggest you target a group named WINXP SP2,and pull all the XP SP2 computer into it,and then approve the SP3 update file to install on the client.

After all the XP has been developed into SP3,then approve the IE 8 in wsus to install completely.

In addition, you can not set a priority when you approve them together.

Best regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:11 AM
  • As I suspected when I disapproved the IE8 install the SP3 update was able to install.  I created another WSUS group called "Windows XP SP2."  I also created another GPO to change the client group target and set it with a higher priority.  I applied a WMI filter to this GPO for Windows XP SP2 stations so that they are relocated to the proper WSUS group.  For the Windows XP SP2 computer group I approved the SP3 upgrade.  With these group policy settings they should move in and out of this computer group as they are updated. 
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:36 PM