none
Folder Redirection in Windows 7

Question

• Hello,

We are running a Windows Server 2003 enviorment with local user policies and folder redirection.  All of the XP machines work fine but the Windows 7 machines do not apply the folder redirection policies completely.  Is there something that I need to know regarding Server 2003 and Windows 7?

Ernst.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Ernst,

Based on research, some customers who upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista or installed the Windows 7 beta version have this similar issue. If so, please perform clean install with Windows 7 RTM.

If the problem continues, to narrow down the issue, please confirm the following information.

1. Is your Windows 7 Client in a same OU where the XP clients reside?

2. Does this issue exist for all group policies or just the folder redirection?

3. Can you run "gpupdate /force" to force GPO applied to Windows 7 computer successfully? If not, what's the error message you got?

4. On the DC, open GPMC, right-click Group Policy Results, choose Group Policy Results Wizard, follow the wizard to collect a Group Policy result for problematic Windows 7 client.

5. On the Windows 7 machine where GPO failed to apply, please perform the following steps to collect log files:

a) Please add the specified registry key to enable group policy log (%windir%\debug\usermode\gpsvc.log), and remove or rename it to disable group policy log after collecting data. You may need to create the Diagnostics key if it is not there.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Type: DWORD

Value: GPSvcDebugLevel

Data: 0x30002 (hexadecimal)

b) Then on the problematic Win7 machine, run command “gpupdate /force”.

c) Then on the problematic Win7 machine, run command “gpresult /v > gpr_win7.txt”, send me gpr_win7.txt file.

d) On the problematic Win7 machine, run command “eventvwr”, then expand to Applications and service logs -> Microsoft -> windows -> groupPolicy -> Operational. Right-click on it and click “save event as”. Save the file as .evtx format and send it to me.

e) After that, please send me the above output files. (please zip them first and then send them to me).

- %windir%\debug\usermode\gpsvc.log

- gpr_win7.txt

- win7.evtx

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the GPMC result and the zip files, and then give us the download address.

Regards,

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, November 09, 2009 3:14 AM
    Monday, November 02, 2009 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Ernst,

Based on research, some customers who upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista or installed the Windows 7 beta version have this similar issue. If so, please perform clean install with Windows 7 RTM.

If the problem continues, to narrow down the issue, please confirm the following information.

3. Can you run "gpupdate /force" to force GPO applied to Windows 7 computer successfully? If not, what's the error message you got?

4. On the DC, open GPMC, right-click Group Policy Results, choose Group Policy Results Wizard, follow the wizard to collect a Group Policy result for problematic Windows 7 client.

5. On the Windows 7 machine where GPO failed to apply, please perform the following steps to collect log files:

a) Please add the specified registry key to enable group policy log (%windir%\debug\usermode\gpsvc.log), and remove or rename it to disable group policy log after collecting data. You may need to create the Diagnostics key if it is not there.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Type: DWORD

Value: GPSvcDebugLevel

Data: 0x30002 (hexadecimal)

b) Then on the problematic Win7 machine, run command “gpupdate /force”.

c) Then on the problematic Win7 machine, run command “gpresult /v > gpr_win7.txt”, send me gpr_win7.txt file.

d) On the problematic Win7 machine, run command “eventvwr”, then expand to Applications and service logs -> Microsoft -> windows -> groupPolicy -> Operational. Right-click on it and click “save event as”. Save the file as .evtx format and send it to me.

e) After that, please send me the above output files. (please zip them first and then send them to me).

- %windir%\debug\usermode\gpsvc.log

- gpr_win7.txt

- win7.evtx

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the GPMC result and the zip files, and then give us the download address.

Regards,

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, November 09, 2009 3:14 AM
    Monday, November 02, 2009 10:05 AM
  • Hi Bruce, I have made all that you suggested but I have problems with enable the group policy log, because the path CurrentVersion\Diagnostics does not exist, I uploaded all the other files to the skydrive hernandezcv@hotmail.es

I tested only with my account, and I logon on XP and my documents was redirected.

No, only for that GPO

yes, but I get the follow warning:

"The Group Policy Client Side Extension Folder Redirection was unable to apply one or more settings because the changes must b
    e processed before system startup or user logon. The system will wait for Group Policy processing to finish completely before
     the next startup or logon for this user, and this may result in slow startup and boot performance.
    Computer Policy update has completed successfully."

I get RPC Error

on the application log I get the following error:
     "Folder redirection policy application has been delayed until the next logon because the group policy logon optimization is in effect."

AND

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Documents" to "\\servername\Personal Folder\username\Documents".

Redirection options=0x9211.

The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "\\servername\Personal Folder\username\Documents"".

Error details: "The system cannot find the file specified.

".

AND

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Music" to "\\servername\Personal Folder\username\Documents\My Music".

Redirection options=0x9211.

The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "\\servername\Personal Folder\username\Documents\My Music"".

Error details: "Access is denied.

".

I can not access the shared folder with the follow error:
    " \\servername\personal Folder\username\documents refers to a location that is unavaible. it could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. check to make sure thah the disk is properly inserted, or that you are conected to the internet or your network, and then try again, If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a diferent location. "

when i logon to windows server 2008 I can access that shared folder and folder redirection is apply.

Thursday, January 07, 2010 5:05 PM