none
Do you need an A record for the DNS server itself?

Question

• We have a Windows 2003 AD domain.  It is managed by a single domain controller that is also the DNS.  DHCP is done on a firewall.  Only one DNS / DC on the network.  Other server is just a plain file server member of the domain.

In our forward lookup zones table, we have a Name Server entry for the DNS server.  We also have an A entry labeled "Same as parent folder" that has the ip address of the DNS / DC.

Do we also need an A entry that references the name of our DNS server / Domain Controller, with its IP address, or does the Same Parent Folder entry cover this?

I know we need them for all of the other domain PCs out there, but wasn't sure if we needed this one.  Only one DNS on the network.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

yes, it is also normally an A record for the DC listed. Assure with ipconfig /registerdns and also assure that the DHCP client service is running, as this is required for DNS registration.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Your DC will automatically register (and you need to retain) the following DNS records:

1.  NS record in the zones it is authoritative for

2.  A record for the zone (e.g. "Same as Parent" or contoso.com)

3.  A record for the server itself (e.g. my-dc.contoso.com)

4.  A number of SRV records under _msdcs.contoso.com so clients can find services such as LDAP, Global Catalog, and Kerberos.

You should not remove any of these records manually or your AD environment may fail to function correctly.  The A record for the server is used heavily by client machines for authentication and locating services.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:53 PM