none
Upgade from server 2008 r2 to 2012

Question

• hi experts,

I am trying to upgrade from server 2008 r2 sp1 evaluation to server 2012 but getting an error message 
    "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard cannot be upgraded to Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation (Server with a GUI). You can choose to install a new copy of Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation (Server with a GUI) instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation (Server with a GUI), click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

I ran /forestprep and /domainprep before installing it. 

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Friday, December 28, 2012 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Naniitsme,

Based on my test, we need to clean install Windows Server 2012 Evaluation Versions instead upgrading.

However, if we have licensed Windows Server 2012, we can upgrade to Windows Server 2012 by referring to the Upgrading previous retail versions of Windows Server to Windows Server 2012 section of Evaluation Versions and Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 12:20 PM
  • I'm not sure about 'upgrading' from a licensed copy to an evaluation copy.  Evaluation is just that, an evaluation copy.  Yes, after it is in place, it can then be activated with a real license key to be a full copy, but I'm not sure that it is valid to go from a licensed copy to an evaluation copy.  After all, evaluation copies are not supposed to be placed into production, so if you have a licensed copy, it is assumed that it is in production.

tim

Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:22 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure about 'upgrading' from a licensed copy to an evaluation copy.  Evaluation is just that, an evaluation copy.  Yes, after it is in place, it can then be activated with a real license key to be a full copy, but I'm not sure that it is valid to go from a licensed copy to an evaluation copy.  After all, evaluation copies are not supposed to be placed into production, so if you have a licensed copy, it is assumed that it is in production.

tim

Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:22 AM
  • Hi Naniitsme,

Based on my test, we need to clean install Windows Server 2012 Evaluation Versions instead upgrading.

However, if we have licensed Windows Server 2012, we can upgrade to Windows Server 2012 by referring to the Upgrading previous retail versions of Windows Server to Windows Server 2012 section of Evaluation Versions and Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 12:20 PM