none
Windows 7 Dell OEM distribution from Windows deployment server

Question

• Hey guys,

So the company I work for regularly replaces its laptops with new Dells. What we want to do is create a install using windows deployment server, seeing as the number of laptops we need to replace is too large to justify going to each individual laptop and imaging them one at a time. I have yet to be able to get the answer file to pick up the Dell OEM certificate. Here is what I have so far:

I have copied both the dell install.wim and boot.wim into my install

I have all the required drivers injected

I put the dell OEM product key into the answer file (it is the standard OEM key for all Dell win 7 pro 64x service pak 1 installs as far as i can tell) under userdata\productkey

I creates the directory $OEM$\$$\system32\OEM\ In there i copied all the files that were in the same directory on the Dell OEM cd including the certificate. (not sure if the install will look for this by its self or if i need to change something in the answer file)

Everything works but the OEM activation and most forums I've found don't really address this so If anyone has any info please let me know and if you need more information please ask.

Thanks

Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:02 PM

Answers

• UPDATE: I figured it out! I allowed Annomous Logins the have read only acess, Then added 4 First logon Commands as listed above in the OOBE pass of the windows installation. You may get a message saying the Certificate is unrecognized just click ok and let it run and you will officaly have a clean OEM install of windows on your Dell computer. I will post a full how to later and add a link here. If you have any questions feel free to ask :)
    • Marked as answer by dylantb1987 Monday, May 20, 2013 10:09 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2013 10:09 PM

All replies

• UPDATE: So i found out in a normal OEM installation there is a OEM folder copied into system32 in the windows directory. Inside that folder is the OEM certificate. After the install is finished it runs a .bat file called slp.bat which includes the following commands:

cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ilc %windir%\system32\oem\OEM.xrm-ms
    cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk 32KD2-K9CTF-M3DJT-4J3WC-733WD

after finding this out I went to my test laptop and added the "pause" command to the end of the .bat file to see if it would work. Of course it didn't the OEM folder was missing from system32. So here is what I need to figure out how to do: Run a command in my answer file that will create the OEM folder in C:\windows\system32 and copy the OEM certification into there then the answer file also needs to run the slp.bat file with admin privileges. If anyone can help me figure out how to do the it would be a big help. Thanks! 

Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:40 PM
  •  

Hi,

If a normal installation will run the 2 commands, I would like to know that how it get the product key here?

If it comes from the installation disk, which means we do not have a method to automatically get an unused product key from the folder $OEM$\$$\system32\OEM\ you created.

Maybe this could help instead:

Introduction to VAMT 3.0

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825141.aspx

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:32 PM
  • The product key in that command is the universal Dell OEM key for Windows 7 64bit service pak 1. You can get all the OEM keys if you google search slp keys it should be the 4th result down from the top (the d-fault page)

Microsoft provides these keys to computer manufacturers so they can include OEM versions of windows on their computers with out having to include a unique key in the install for each individual computer. When you use the dell OEM key with the dell certificate it will activate windows on any dell computer with a Dell motherboard. What I need to figure out is where in the answer file to put the commands to create the OEM folder in the C:\windows\system32\ directory, copy the dell cert and the slp.bat files, and then run slp.bat.  

So far I am trying to get the answer file to run a bat file I created in eather the oobe pass or the user audit pass. The bat file goes like this:

mkdir %windir%\system32\OEM

copy \\server\RemoteInstall\DellCert\slp.bat %windir%\system32\OEM\

copy \\server\RemoteInstall\DellCert\OEM.xrm-ms %windir%\system32\OEM\

%windir%\system32\OEM\slp.bat

If you have any info on how i could get this to work please let me know.

Once i get this figured out I am going to make a how to and put it on technet and other websites so that no one has to go through this again because the documentation out there on this right now is shameful.

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:57 PM
  • I have manually used the Dell cert to activate my test laptop before I just need to automate it in the answer file.
    Friday, May 17, 2013 5:10 PM
  • UPDATE: So I am now attempting to run 4 different bat files under the Specialize pass in the answer file in synchronous commands the bat files are as follows:

1. mkdir C:\OEM

2. copy \\server\RemoteInstall\DellCert\slp.bat C:\OEM\

3. copy \\server\RemoteInstall\DellCert\OEM.xrm-ms C:\OEM\

4. C:\OEM\slp.bat

I chose to do it this way because I realized that the Specialize pass only want you to run scripts instead of stand alone commands the reason I have them broken up into 4 different bat files is because I tried running them in a all in one bat file file and it only ran the first command then it didn't run the others. 

I'll will post again once I know if it works or not.

Please let me know If you guys have any other ideas. 
    Monday, May 20, 2013 5:21 PM
  • UPDATE: I figured it out! I allowed Annomous Logins the have read only acess, Then added 4 First logon Commands as listed above in the OOBE pass of the windows installation. You may get a message saying the Certificate is unrecognized just click ok and let it run and you will officaly have a clean OEM install of windows on your Dell computer. I will post a full how to later and add a link here. If you have any questions feel free to ask :)
    • Marked as answer by dylantb1987 Monday, May 20, 2013 10:09 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2013 10:09 PM
  • Thank you for your sharing and expecting your further information:)

update:

here is the exact steps shared by OP:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/thread/ad9258a9-76b4-4fd1-a415-e73f6c5e2429

Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:20 AM