none
Windows 7 Roaming Profiles

Question

• Hello

We currently have a 2003 domain, using XP workstations.  I plan on introducing Win 7 to the environment.  I understand Win7 uses a .v2 extension for the stored profile folder.  For XP, I would create the user and assign the roaming profile location and folder.  I then went and created the folder so it could be accessed by an admin.  When I try this now, the Win 7 user creates a .v2.v2 folder and only the user can access it.  Any ideas?

Mike

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I guess this is a permission problem. Check the Security tab of the profile folder that you created, do the user has the sufficient permission? If not, then the user cannot use this profile folder and have to create a new one with .v2.v2 suffix.

To work around this, create the user profile folder and assign proper permissions.

Administrator: Owner permission
    System: Full Control
    Domain user: Full Control

Thanks
    Zhang

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:20 AM
  • I'm Stumped.  Thanks for the help, but it will not work.  The profile will not write to the folder I create (Win7.v2).  It creates a folder called Win7.v2.v2

I hve it permissioned for everyone, full control.  I have even added the user to the permission.  The share is wide open as well.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Hello,

Suppose the user name is win7. Do not add ".v2" to the profile path. I think the correct Profile path should be: \\server_name\win7_profiles\win7

Thanks
    Zhang
    Friday, August 31, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Thank You.  It worked great.
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:26 PM