none
How to prevent IIS being installed on Windows Server

Question

• I want a way to prevent IIS from being installed on any version of Windows Server. We have a mixture of versions of Windows Server from 2000 (OK, not supported) right up to Windows Server 2008 R2 plus some Windows Server 2012 test machines. The task is to prevent anyone being able to install IIS on these servers. I appreciate there are ways to disable the IIS service but that's only a retrospective workaround, and for Windows Server 2003 there was a policy setting that would prevent it but that seems to have been deprecated and doesn't work for other versions of Windows Server.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• They may know over here.

http://forums.iis.net/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Prevent IIS Installation group policy setting if enabled works on WS 2003, WS 2008, WS 2008 R2 and WS 2012 as well, Prevent IIS Installation might not work on WS 2000 (not really sure though).

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:06 AM
  • Thanks for the replies. Have tried the Group Policy method using the Prevent IIS Installation setting but while it seems to work fine for Windows Server 2003, it doesn't work for Windows Server 2000 or 2008/2008 R2 machines.

Will ask on the IIS forums.

Many thanks.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:54 PM