none
How do i work out which of my Domain Controllers is dealing with time

Question

• I have 2 domain controllers and one of them is dealing with passing time to clients.  However, I need to ascertain which server is managing this.  Typed in net time into a cmd prompt and got:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\stevewelsh>net time
    Current time at \XXX-SVR01.xxxxxxxxx.local is 18/04/2013 15:28:37

The command completed successfully.

Does this tell me which one?

Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:18 PM

Answers

• Domain Controller which holds PDC emulator FSMO role will be responsible for Time Sync.

Please refer following

How to find time server in a domain?

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:02 PM
  • To follow-up on Santosh's answer; after I verify who is responsible for the domain's time-of-day, I verify all other machines are pointing to that domain controller.  The easiest way to do this for most is with a group policy.  The exception is to manually verify (or reset via w32time) for those machines that are not rebooted on a regular basis.

- Michael Faklis

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Hello,

please see for details in http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/06/27/time-configuration-in-a-windows-domain.aspx

Net time is old fashion and not really reliable. Please work with w32tm instead.

Please post the output from "w32tm /monitor" and "w32tm /query /status" here.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, April 19, 2013 9:42 AM
  • There was news yesterday that ALL of the time server pool is under attack.   Time.Windows.com can't even be found.  Try this;

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:0.pool.ntp.org,1.pool.ntp.org,2.pool.ntp.org,3.pool.ntp.org
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

The set of pool NTP servers are dynamically and randomly assigned to the n.pool.ntp.org DNS names.

- Michael Faklis

• Marked as answer by Steve Welsh Friday, April 26, 2013 11:44 AM
    • Edited by Michael Faklis Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:13 AM typo
    Friday, April 26, 2013 12:34 AM

All replies

• Domain Controller which holds PDC emulator FSMO role will be responsible for Time Sync.

Please refer following

How to find time server in a domain?

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:02 PM
  • To follow-up on Santosh's answer; after I verify who is responsible for the domain's time-of-day, I verify all other machines are pointing to that domain controller.  The easiest way to do this for most is with a group policy.  The exception is to manually verify (or reset via w32time) for those machines that are not rebooted on a regular basis.

- Michael Faklis

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Hello,

please see for details in http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/06/27/time-configuration-in-a-windows-domain.aspx

Net time is old fashion and not really reliable. Please work with w32tm instead.

Please post the output from "w32tm /monitor" and "w32tm /query /status" here.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, April 19, 2013 9:42 AM
  • There was news yesterday that ALL of the time server pool is under attack.   Time.Windows.com can't even be found.  Try this;

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:0.pool.ntp.org,1.pool.ntp.org,2.pool.ntp.org,3.pool.ntp.org
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

The set of pool NTP servers are dynamically and randomly assigned to the n.pool.ntp.org DNS names.

- Michael Faklis

• Marked as answer by Steve Welsh Friday, April 26, 2013 11:44 AM
    • Edited by Michael Faklis Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:13 AM typo
    Friday, April 26, 2013 12:34 AM
  • Hi Michael

Thanks for the input.  Few things:

1) I have 3x Windows Server 2008 running plus a Linux Debian Mailserver.  (I think it is a Linux Mailserver, i have adopted this environment and i am learning a great deal as i go. I cannot, thus far, find the PDC Emulator FSMO role running on any server.  Where would i find this?

2) I had looked at 3 servers.  Under: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\W32Time\Parameters on the 'Type' key, 2 have NT5DS and 1 has NTP.  Therefore, i assumed that the NTP was my appropriate PDC.  However, i used the command you recommended and left it overnight.  However, nothing updated to this server and once again, no one could log on to the domain as everything was complaining about DNS, AD and time issues.  Set the time on the NTP server back to time.windows.com and manually set the time on the server to mimic everything else.  Problem solved and have left alone for a couple of days.

How would i make sure everything is syncing to my NTP server via GP?

3) Windows Server 2008 - Recommended reading?

I apologise wholly for some of my terminology as it may not be 'tech' coherent at times.  I am truly grateful for your help so far.

Best regards

Steve 

Kind regards Steven Welsh Lost in Space

• Edited by Steve Welsh Friday, April 26, 2013 10:57 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 10:56 AM
  • I have no experience with the Debian flavor of Linux.  You might post this question on a Debian Linux forum.  I also take advantage of my library (San Francisco Public Library) and can access all of the tech books on Safari. 

Best of luck.

- Michael Faklis

Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Hello,

1. "netdom query fsmo" in an elevated command prompt will show you the 5 FSMO roles and which DC is hosting them.

2. there is no need for GPOs to sync the time in a domain. Have you read my article about the configuration? Have you reset the time settings to default and started fresh?
    Please post an unedited ipconfig /all from ALL DC/DNS servers and a client with problems.

3. what kind of reading do you talk about? About time services, then see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782712(v=ws.10).aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784553(v=ws.10).aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:38 PM