none
Creating System Restore Points in Windows Server 2012

Question

• Searching for "Create a restore point" on Windows Server 2012, brings up a link that when clicked takes you to System Properties. Once there, there is no System Protection tab or option to create a system restore point. Windows Server Backup is installed and functioning.

Is this feature available in Windows Server 2012? Was it replaced with Shadow Copies for Shared Folders?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you looking for a system restore point or the ability to retrieve earlier versions of user files from a share?

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:56 PM
  •   Restore points have nothing to do with shadow copies or server backup. They are simply system restore points, not data backup.

Bill

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:47 AM
  • Hence my question, since the title and the content of the original post seemed to be going in different directions.

To my knowledge, there is not system restore point in Windows Server.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:00 PM
  • It could be found in Windows 8 client system in System Properties but not Windows Server 2012.

This page provide a screenshot of Windows 8:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/09/windows-8-how-to-29-restore-system-to-a-previous-state-using-restore-point.aspx

In order to create a backup of whole system you could perform a backup by checking "system state" in Windows Server Backup.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Ola Axén Friday, November 01, 2013 9:49 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 5:39 AM
  • Tim, Sorry for the confusion on the title. You are correct, there is no Create System Restore Point in Windows Server 2012. That is what I was looking for. I"m working on an eval install and came acorss a link in the help file that points you to the tab that used to be called System Protection. It must be something that was overlooked and will eventually be removed. Thanks for your response.
    Monday, February 11, 2013 5:47 AM
  • Shaon Shan, Thanks for your reply and the link. Much appreciated. By the way, a system state does not backup a whole system. I think you meant to say, a Full Backup? Anyway, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.
    Monday, February 11, 2013 5:48 AM
  • Thanks Bill
    Monday, February 11, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Dear Tim, Shaon,

do you both really consider yourselves content with this answer and state of things? NO system restore points in servers? We have them since windows 2k I guess, we have additionally VM checkpoints, but NO such option for the hypervisor itself? Are you nuts? Do you want me to backup the Hyper-V Host each time I install updates or new drivers?

You both as MS partner and MSFT CSG have the responsibility to feedback the sleeping monster when it is wrong in the garret.

I am a MCITP:EA and implementing MS software solutions over 10 years, but I am not blind to see that this mishandle or other current functionality cutoffs are wrong!

Sincerely

Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:01 AM
  • Very well said Boian.

Thank you, in the name of all the Windows server users.

Thursday, February 06, 2014 4:02 PM
  • 25th January 2012
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:49 PM
  • I just want to restore my laptop to the 25th of January 2012
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 11:02 PM
  • Are you looking for a system restore point or the ability to retrieve earlier versions of user files from a share?

Does Windows Server 2012 have the ability to retrieve earlier version of files?

How do i do that?

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:30 AM