none
WSUS Servers OU notifications

Question

• Morning all -

I'm new to this, so please bear with me. We have a WSUS server. Within said server we have three OUs. 

- Unassigned Computers \ - Servers \ Workstations

In options \ Automatic Approvals, we have Critical Updates, Definitions and a few others set to automatically approve for the Workstations' OU. 

But, for the Servers OU, we have nothing set. Albeit we NEVER get email notifications of Server updates pending. Are we missing a setting or something here?

Thanks in advance

Ivan 

Thursday, June 13, 2013 3:48 PM

Answers

• I'm new to this, so please bear with me. We have a WSUS server. Within said server we have three OUs.

Well, really, you have three Target Groups on the WSUS Server; OUs (Organizational Units) exist in Active Directory. It may seem pedantic, but in forums semantical accuracy can mean the difference between getting a response that solves your problem or getting a response that makes it worse.

In options \ Automatic Approvals, we have Critical Updates, Definitions and a few others set to automatically approve for the Workstations' OU.

The Workstations target group, I will assume you mean.

But, for the Servers OU, we have nothing set.

Okay.

Albeit we NEVER get email notifications of Server updates pending.

Methinks you've confused the synchronization results notification with the automatic approvals functionality. A Synchronization Report includes ALL updates, regardless of whether they are configured for automatic approvals or not. WSUS does not provide any email notification capabilities for updates that are Approved or updates that are Needed.

WSUS also provides a daily (or weekly) Status Report, but it does not include details by update or computer, only quantitative data about the number of updates needed/approved by group.

Clarification on which email notification you're referring to may be helpful to further isolate the situation (and likely cause).

Are we missing a setting or something here?

Given the description, my inclination is that you've not enabled the *Windows Server* product category(s) for synchronization in the Options | Products and Classifications dialog, and you're not actually synchronizing any server OS updates to the WSUS server.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:26 PM

All replies

• I'm new to this, so please bear with me. We have a WSUS server. Within said server we have three OUs.

Well, really, you have three Target Groups on the WSUS Server; OUs (Organizational Units) exist in Active Directory. It may seem pedantic, but in forums semantical accuracy can mean the difference between getting a response that solves your problem or getting a response that makes it worse.

The Workstations target group, I will assume you mean.

But, for the Servers OU, we have nothing set.

Okay.

Albeit we NEVER get email notifications of Server updates pending.

Methinks you've confused the synchronization results notification with the automatic approvals functionality. A Synchronization Report includes ALL updates, regardless of whether they are configured for automatic approvals or not. WSUS does not provide any email notification capabilities for updates that are Approved or updates that are Needed.

WSUS also provides a daily (or weekly) Status Report, but it does not include details by update or computer, only quantitative data about the number of updates needed/approved by group.

Clarification on which email notification you're referring to may be helpful to further isolate the situation (and likely cause).

Are we missing a setting or something here?

Given the description, my inclination is that you've not enabled the *Windows Server* product category(s) for synchronization in the Options | Products and Classifications dialog, and you're not actually synchronizing any server OS updates to the WSUS server.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to respond, and clarifying the terminology.

I will review my issue, and try to express it better. 

Friday, June 14, 2013 12:23 PM