none
IPV6 dns and DHCPv6, static address can ping address but not dhcp machines

Question

• Hello all,

I have been doing a lot of research and still having issue with my test environment. I have a virtual switch (vmware) with a vlan set to 100. The vlan has no router just a virtual switch. The traffic is only on vlan 100. What I  have is two Windows 2008 R2 server ( 2 DNS and DHCPv6) and a client machine (windows 2008). I setup a DC with DNS and called my domain ipv6.com. The second server is my secondary dns server.

I have read many diffirent way to setup the DHCPv6. My goal is to have my client machines (windows 2008 and 7) to get an IPV6 address and being able to ping the machines name and get back the IPV6 dhcp address not the Link-local address as well as join my ipv6.com domain.

So far the only way I can do it is add a static IP address through network connections add the subet prefix of 64 and enter the two static addresses of my dns servers. I can then ping the dc an dns servers and get back their ipv6 address without using ping -6

If get a an address through the dhcp server (which takes some time for whatever reason) I can't add my machine to the domain. I can't ping the dc or the dns server but can remote desktop into dc.

Since I have no router I should be selecting Disable DHCPv6 Stateless Mode during the DHCP setup. A side question I have is since I have no router I assume all my client will get a dhcp address and a link-local address?

1) Click on Start | Administrative Tools | DHCP
    2) Highlight and Expand the computer name
    3) Highlight the IPv6 container, right click the container and choose New Scope
    4) Click Next through the Welcome screen
    5) Enter in IPv6 DHCP Scope (or whatever you want) for the Name, click Next
    6) For Prefix, in our case, we will enter in the Network and Subnet: fda8:06c3:ce53:a890::  (note the two : there before the default /64 on the screen). For Preference, leave the default at 0

Now for the fun part. What setting do I set on the client and what setting do I add to my dhcpv6 server for my clients to get and IPv6 address that can ping other machine names and get the ipv6 address back?

A list of possible setting on the windows 2008 r2 client machine

type  Netsh interface ipv6 set interface {# you identified in step 2} advertise=enabled
           For my example: Netsh interface ipv6 set interface 11 advertise=enabled
    type  Netsh interface ipv6 add route 1024://64 {# you identified in step 2} publish=yes
           For my example:   Netsh interface ipv6 add route 1024::/64 11 publish=yes
    type  Netsh interface ipv6 add route {your prefix::/64} {# you identified in step 2} publish=yes
           For my example:   Netsh interface ipv6 add route fda8:06c3:ce53:a890::/64 11 publish=yes

I also found a windows IPV6 test lab which says publish =no:

Configuring and Demonstrating an IPv6-only Intranet
    To configure DC1 as the DHCPv6 server:

1. On DC1, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    2. In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands

netsh interface ipv6 add address Corpnet 2001:db8:0:1::1111

netsh interface ipv6 set route 2001:db8:0:1::/64 Corpnet publish=no

netsh interface ipv6 set interface Corpnet managedaddress=enable otherstateful=enable

3. On DC1, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DHCP.
    4. In the console tree of the DHCP snap-in, open dc1.corp.contoso.com, right-click IPv6, and then click New Scope.
    5. On the Welcome page, click Next.
    6. On the Scope Name page, type Corpnet in Name, and then click Next.
    7. On the Scope Prefix page, type 2001:db8:0:1:: in Prefix, and then click Next.
    8. On the Add Exclusions page, click Next.
    9. On the Scope Lease page, click Next.
    10. On the Completing page, click Finish.
    11. In the console tree of the DHCP snap-in, right-click IPv6, and then click New Scope.
    12. On the Welcome page, click Next.
    13. On the Scope Name page, type Corpnet2 in Name, and then click Next.
    14. On the Scope Prefix page, type 2001:db8:0:2:: in Prefix, and then click Next.
    15. On the Add Exclusions page, click Next.
    16. On the Scope Lease page, click Next.
    17. On the Completing page, click Finish.
    18. In the console tree of the DHCP snap-in, right-click Server Options, and then click Configure Options.
    19. On the General tab, select 0023 DNS Recursive Name Server IPv6 Addresses, type 2001:db8:0:1::1111 in New IPv6 address, click Add, and then click OK.
    20. In the Command Prompt window, run the following commands:
    21. Connect CLIENT1 to the Corpnet subnet.
    22. In the Command Prompt window, type ipconfig /all, and then press ENTER. Notice that an IPv6 address beginning with "2001:db8:0:1" is assigned to the Local Area Connection adapter and that the DNS servers assigned to the Local Area Connection adapter now includes 2001:db8:0:1::1111

I have also seen on the DC:

netsh interface ipv6 set interface isatap.corp.contoso.com advertise=enable, and then press ENTER.2.      In the Command Prompt window, type netsh interface ipv6 add route 2001:db8:0:abcd::/64 interface=isatap.corp.contoso.com publish=yes

Given my setup which commans do I run on the client anbd which do I run on the the dhcp server. Also, which linux clients can receive dhcpv6 addresses from a microsoft dhcpv6 server?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:58 AM