none
Windows Server 2008 R2 Core: how to force a driver update

Question

• Dear All,

I have managed to install a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter x64 Core on a Dell PowerEdge 1950. This server has two Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II ethernet ports.

When I installed the operating system, only one of the ports was enabled, and Windows 2008 recognized it without any problems at all: I have been running with it for a week now. As I have installed Hyper-V on the system, I have now enabled the second port through the BIOS, but Windows seems to have a problem with the second port: I get an exclamation mark on the second card (called "Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II (NDIS VBD Client) #2") in Device Manager (I see this remotely read-only), and the error message "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".

I have installed the Broadcom drivers from Dell and rebooted the server, tried (and failed) to use devcon.exe (the x64 version!) to force the drivers on the network port, and contacted Dell who seem a bit unsure of their Server Core knowledge.

Both ports appear in Device Manager to use the same Microsoft drivers (Driver Provider: Microsoft Corporation; Driver Date: 23/12/2008; Driver Version: 4.8.4.1), but the second does not work. Why? How can I force Server Core to try again? Has anyone else seen this before?

Thank you for your help.

Yours,

David del Campo

PS: Remember, I am accessing Device Manager remotely and read-only; Command Prompt commands are useful, telling me to "reinstall the driver" is not.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Base on my experience, some multi-port network adapters doesn’t work properly with Windows Server 2008/ Windows Server 2008 R2 Core installation or Hyper-V Server 2008/Hyper-V Server 2008  R2.

I recommend that you contact Broadcom to ensure that the driver of the network adapter is compatible with Windows Server 2008/ Windows Server 2008 R2 Core installation.

By the way, you can try to use Core Configurator to add & remove drivers.

Core Configurator 2.0

http://coreconfig.codeplex.com/

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on my experience, some multi-port network adapters doesn’t work properly with Windows Server 2008/ Windows Server 2008 R2 Core installation or Hyper-V Server 2008/Hyper-V Server 2008  R2.

I recommend that you contact Broadcom to ensure that the driver of the network adapter is compatible with Windows Server 2008/ Windows Server 2008 R2 Core installation.

By the way, you can try to use Core Configurator to add & remove drivers.

Core Configurator 2.0

http://coreconfig.codeplex.com/

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Dear Vincent,

CoreConfigurator is a great tool! But it did not solve the problem: the Broadcom drivers are now running both ports, but the second port is still complaining of the Code 31 error. I have also gone to Broadcom's website and downloaded the latest drivers, but despite getting the ones for W2K8 R2 x64, they would not install under Core.

Any further ideas?

David

Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Hi,

If there isn’t a compatible driver, you may need to switch to the full installation of Windows Server system or change a network adapter which has compatible driver. The following post discussed the similar issue, you can refer to:

Hyper-V Server: Intel PRO/1000 only showing up as one NIC?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverhyperv/thread/8e2f084d-8701-46c7-9b05-0eb0efcea725

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Friday, April 23, 2010 7:15 AM
  • Dear Vincent,

And how much CPU am I going to lose by switching from Core?

David

Friday, April 23, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

General speaking, in theory, the performance of core installation of Windows Sever 2008 R2 is better than the full installation, however, you will never notice the difference only when you use some benchmark application to perform a test. So in a sense, you can ignore the performance difference between the core and the full installation of Windows Server 2008 R2.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:59 AM
  • I have run into this EXACT issue, except on an HP DL380 G5.  My NICs are an embedded Broadcom BCM5706C and a PCIe Broadcom BCM5708c.  At best, the OS recognizes only one port of each NIC, and the others show up as code 31 when I do a devcon.exe status =net.  I have tried Broadcom's drivers as well as the drivers from HP's support site.  Nothing seems to matter or change.  I am at the end of my rope here, but we have a requirement that we are migrating all of our DCs to Core so I need to get this running.

I created a post somewhere here about it but didn't get any help.  I just refuse to believe it is a driver or NIC incompatibility issue when 1 of the ports is up and running and working just fine.

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:48 PM
  • pnputil -a -i *.inf maybe can install your nic driver
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Solved

Hi!

I know that this is an old thread, but I ran into this problem when I installed a new Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 and decided to write up a short guide on how to resolve this for future reference.

As you've all stated yourselves, the driver is fine since it is loaded and working with the other NIC. Something went wrong during the hardware detection and driver installation phase of the OS installation, and did not create a corresponding service associated with the NIC.

To fix this, we need to remove the NIC from device manager and let Windows detect it once again.

The Device Manager GUI is absent in server core, (yes you can still run device manager remotely from another computer, but from R2 this is a read-only type of administration). The corresponding application for use in CLI is a small software called Devcon.exe. This utility is included in the Windows Driver Kit and can be downloaded from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11800

Once you have put Devcon.exe on your core server (I just copied it straight into C:\) you can find the NIC you want to remove by typing:

Devcon.exe find =net

This will return a list of devices of the network adapter class, and will look something like this

C:\>devcon find =net
    ROOT\VMS_MP\0000                                            : Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Adapter
    USB\VID_04B3&PID_4010\5&22381B6E&0&2                        : IBM USB Remote NDIS Network Device
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_105E&SUBSYS_125E8086&REV_06\4&11E9E35A&0&0038: Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter #2
    ROOT\*6TO4MP\0000                                           : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    ROOT\*ISATAP\0000                                           : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #17
    ROOT\*ISATAP\0001                                           : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #18
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_105E&SUBSYS_125E8086&REV_06\4&11E9E35A&0&0138: Intel(R) PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter
    B06BDRV\L2ND&PCI_163914E4&SUBSYS_03A91014&REV_20\5&15D4A2B4&0&20050B00: Broadcom BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2
    ROOT\*ISATAP\0002                                           : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #19
    ROOT\*ISATAP\0003                                           : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #20
    B06BDRV\L2ND&PCI_163914E4&SUBSYS_03A91014&REV_20\5&2E6DCA5E&0&20050B00: Broadcom BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #52
    11 matching device(s) found.

Broadcom BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2 is the device that I want to remove, and I do this by copy/paste the hardwareID into typing:

Devcon.exe remove B06BDRV\L2ND&PCI_163914E4&SUBSYS_03A91014&REV_20\5&15D4A2B4&0&20050B00

Since the parent registry object is the same for both NIC's on the dual port adapter, this will unfortunately remove both broadcom adapters, so if any static IP or other settings were configured on the working adapter, this must be redone. Also if you perform this via remote RDP, you will lose connection to the server.

To have the server detect the NIC's again you will have to type:

Devcon.exe rescan

And the adapters will now be reinstalled

Thats it!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Just want to post this as a potential solution in case any one is looking to resolve the same issue on Hyper V server 2008 R2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2460786

Thanks

Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:37 AM
  • thanks a lot.

this resolved the issue for me with a HP DL320 G6 Server and Hyper-V Server 2008 R2.

via RDP i used a simple batch:

devcon remove PCI\VEN_14E4
    devcon rescan

Markus

Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:20 PM