none
Splwow64.exe error

Question

• Hi.

Our users are getting all of a sudden the follwing error when they try to print on our Xerox printers:

splwow64.exe - System Error

The program can't start because x2utili6.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

The users are local admins on their workstation, the printers are mounted automatically by GPO, these are Windows 7 x64 machines, it is affecting not all users (i can print myself without any issue).

I have tried restarting the spooler service and delete the C:\WINDOWS\SPOOLER\PRINTERS files without any luck.

The dll file is located in two places:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\x2univx.inf_amd64_neutral_0d51743efa7abccc

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 3:44 PM

Answers

• This is what i ended up doing to fix the issue:

• Open regedit (e.g. click Start, key regedit and press Enter)
    1. navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers

under this key, there will be the key Version-3

the sub-keys under these contain the printer driver configuration information, delete all the sub-keys inside Version-3

The Microsoft Knowledgebase article at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312052 lists some other registry entries to delete, but this is not usually necessary.

3. open a Command Prompt window

1. key the command        net stop spooler
    2. open Windows Explorer
    3. navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\printers\ and delete any files there.  By default, this is where the print spooler stores print files.
    4. navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3
    5. delete all of the files and sub-folders
    6. restart the print spooler : net start spooler

• Marked as answer by TomaVit Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:06 AM

All replies

• Splwow64.exe will be loading the file from C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3.

Is the printer a connection to a print server or a local printer?  Compare the file on a working machine to a non working.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 5:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi there!

I've been getting the same error as well, I'm going to try and give a good run-down of what I've been seeing and what I've done. Note that so far, only 2 confirmed cases out of several hundred (with a few unconfirmed users that we happened to come across printers printing gibberish pages, hundreds of them (another symptom))

First, we have a print cluster, and the users (DL and DG) are trying to print to ColorQube 9201's and WorkCentre 7435's respectively. Interestingly enough, each user can print to the printer the other user cannot. Both are Xerox printers. And both users are running Windows 7 32 bit.

Let's start with user DL:

We add CQ9201 and do NOT set it as default printer. Open Notepad, type up something, try to print - the error doesn't come up (note that it says NOTEPAD.exe or POWERPOINT.exe, when running powerpoint, and not splwow64.exe in the title bar) We can then choose a printer just fine and it prints just fine. If we choose the CQ9201, it does NOT give the errors but will print hundreds and hundreds of "gibberish" pages (ascii code basically) NOW, if we have CQ9201 selected as default printer and try to print, it gives the error about 3 times (each time you click ok) the print dialog comes up, and hundreds of gibberish pages.

For user DG it is the same thing except you can replace CQ9201 with WC7435. Keeping in mind that DG can print fine to a CQ9201 and DL can print fine to a WC7435.

Troubleshooting Done:
    removed/readded printers via name and IP - no change

installed print drivers from xerox manually - no change

tried printing from under a different profile on affected machine - no change (DL was moved to a new machine, problem doesn't exist)

moved x2utilE6.dll from a tested working machine to DL's old machine, replacing the DLL in question, rebooted - no change (I also tried to manually register the DLL via regsvr32 but got the "was loaded but entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found" error

Currently user DG is the 2nd case I've seen DIRECTLY RELATED TO A USER (like said, there have been tickets for printers doing the gibberish printing, and I've wandered by and found and stopped some printers doing that), and I don't have hands on on his machine (HP8560p) I have hands on on DL's machine which is an IBM T500.

I know I'm missing things and this is likely a complete mess, but we're trying to figure out what is going on and figure it might help to have some more input on the issue as when I was troubleshooting it before, there were zero entries on this in google. Yours is the first.

Right now, I've just run sfc /scannow on DL's computer and it came back 100% complete - did not find any integrity violations.

OH! and Malware Bytes reports nothing, as does our Corporate AV solution (Mcafee)

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:41 PM
  • sfc will not detect integrity issues with files that do not come with Windows.  I'll send mail to someone from the Xerox team that works out of Redmond and see if this is a known issue when using the global driver.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 10:14 PM
    Answerer
  • The printer is accessed via a Windows 2008R2 print server. I have compared the dll file from a buggy computer with a healthy one, the dlls are exactly the same (same size, same created/modified time, same driver version)
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Hi TomaVit,

it can be either file permissions issue, or some antivirus (McAfee most probably :) ) exclusive lock.

check the owner of the splwow64, sometimes it is a 'Trusted installer'
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:01 AM
    • Edited by TomaVit Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:14 AM
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Hi Sergey,

We use Symantec :)

I'll see if i can add exclude the splwow64 from the scanner, it could be one of the reason client side rendering does not work,...

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:17 AM
  • AWSIT:  I forwarded this thread to Xerox and they suggested using the most recent driver set.  Apparently the binaries you currently use were released 3 years ago.

Thursday, October 04, 2012 8:59 PM
    Answerer
  • So i am still experiencing the issue even after disabling CSR and updating drivers to the latest version, because we don't have any other fix we had to re-image the computers.

I have created Antivirus exceptions too.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Hi TomaVit

Assuming on your first post you are using X-GPD_5.246.7.0_PCL6 version of the driver, am I right?

Actually it not the latest version because in version X-GPD_5.273.23.1_PCL6 this file should be x2utilKD.dll

So:

0. Enable CSR back.

1. Update the driver at server

2. Remove printer connection at the clients along with the driver.

3. Connect this queue from the printserver

4. Check how it goes.

if the error repeats, paste the message here.

Friday, October 12, 2012 9:47 AM
  • This is what i ended up doing to fix the issue:

• Open regedit (e.g. click Start, key regedit and press Enter)
    1. navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers

under this key, there will be the key Version-3

the sub-keys under these contain the printer driver configuration information, delete all the sub-keys inside Version-3

The Microsoft Knowledgebase article at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312052 lists some other registry entries to delete, but this is not usually necessary.

3. open a Command Prompt window

1. key the command        net stop spooler
    2. open Windows Explorer
    3. navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\printers\ and delete any files there.  By default, this is where the print spooler stores print files.
    4. navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3
    5. delete all of the files and sub-folders
    6. restart the print spooler : net start spooler

• Marked as answer by TomaVit Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:06 AM
  • ..I'd suggest to be careful with that C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3 delete all of the files and sub-folders

yes, we are using it sometimes when other options are exausted, bit it purges spooler completely and leads to all of your drivers (even Microsoft Fax) will be deleted.

In case of Xerox drivers all their file names starts with 'x' (mostly) so I guess it is more safe to delete them only.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Do you need to edit the registry? I got away with just deleting the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3 folder, then deleting all the Xerox printers, then reinstalling the printers from the print server. Tested printing in Word and Excel, worked fine in both.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Deleting that registry key and re-installing driver from print server did not work for us. Critically the server install did not include a populated "dependent files" key.

To demonstrate, directly install the same driver locally to a pc and see the difference. You will get two registry keys called "Xerox WorkCentre ...." one with the Dependent Files key populated (local install) one not (server install). Populate the server install "dependent files" key and it should work - we merely overlaid the whole Xerox key from the local install.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Has anyone gotten a working answer on this problem?  Looks like yours was a year ago but we are just now experiencing it.  Same thing.  Windows 7, SP1 clients, Server 2008, R2 servers, Xerox printers, latest drivers and getting the 2xutilkd.dll missing error. Would really appreciate assistance.  MS printer folks don't know what I'm talking about when I ask about this thread.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 10:39 PM
  • Same here. Just week ago it started. Issues with printing. At times it is issue with an HP printer, at times with Canon multifunction devices, at times with xerox, ricoh.. Well thats what there is to it. No Konicas at the moment in our environment so no issues with those.

Win7 enterprize workstations, 32 and 64bit editions. 2008R2 print server. Only help is to go one by one through every pc and reinstall drivers with suggest in this thread. Really annoying. Only difference is that some windows updates were recently published to workstations..

Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:18 PM
  • Huge thanks for this! I tried several other things and had no luck, I gave this a shot and it solved it. I'm really glad you contributed this on here. 

I like Win 7, but it and printers just don't get along well. 

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:56 AM
  • Thanks a lot. 

It worked perfectly. 

Really helped. 

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:57 AM
  • Hi There could You tell me What steps You followed to fix the issue ?
    Monday, February 24, 2014 9:49 PM