none
The VLAN function of Hyper-V Virtual Network

Question

• I'm confused with the VLAN function of the following two locations of Hyper-V Virtual Network. The following 1st screenshot is the settings for VM, the 2nd is Virtual Network Manager. What is the different between these two? Thanks.

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The screenshots are not visible.

By the way, the VLAN settings in the Settings of the VM is used for the specified virtual machine. The VLAN settings in Virtual Network Manager is used for Hyper-V host machine, if you enable the box “Allow management operating system to share this network adapter”, and it will not affect the network of the virtual machine.

Friday, August 17, 2012 8:45 AM
  • I'm sorry I missed the screenshots. Here they are. BTW, the configurations are set up by others and the servers are running fine without any problems. I just cannot uderstand the configurations.

"The VLAN settings in the Settings of the VM is used for the specified virtual machine. The VLAN settings in Virtual Network Manager is used for Hyper-V host machine." I'm sorry I still cannot understand these two differences.

As I know, generaly speaking, VLAN settings are usually set up in switch. For example, we can assign some ports of a switch with a VLAN ID. We usually cannot assign a NIC with a VLAN ID on a computer. So what do the VLAN settings do in "Virtual Network Manager" and "Setings for VM servers"? What are their differences? Is it necessary that the NIC of the physical machine must support 802.1Q? What shall we do on the switch which is connected to this phsical machine? Many thanks!

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:18 AM
  • if youre going to use multiple vlans with virtual machines first you have to trunk the relevant ports. Then you can use the multiple vlans with your virtual network.anyway its recommend to use separate lan for the management purposes.

This link may also help you to understanding the vlan configuration on hyper-v

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adamfazio/archive/2008/11/14/understanding-hyper-v-vlans.aspx

Darshana Jayathilake

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:51 AM