none
Session "" failed to start with the following error: 0xc0000022

General discussion

• Newly installed Windows 2012 R2 server throws the following event roughly every 3 minutes:

Session "" failed to start with the following error: 0xc0000022

The PID referenced in the event points to WmiPrvSE.exe running as NETWORK SERVICE.  Is there something obvious I'm missing because I'm not sure where to go with the information I found so far.  I already did my fair sharing of Binggling and everything I find doesn't apply or doesn't fix the problem.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you let me know the full event log content?

I suggest you restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:05 PM
  • More information: If I run procmon against WmiPrvSE and wait for the event to show up again, the only thing I see is the following:

Is there a way to backtrace what networking component/driver/module/whatever that is attempting to do this?  This feels like an HP problem, but I'm gonna have to prove it to them before they'll do anything.  Sigh...

Monday, December 02, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to use resouce monitor and select WmiPrvSE. Meanwhile, you can perform a clean boot and check the result.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 9:52 AM
  • Hello,

do you have any news regarding this issue? I have exactly the same problem. The WmiPrvSE.exe running under NETWORK SERVICE Account causes the event log errors.

Friday, February 14, 2014 8:50 AM
  • I have been plagued by the very same problem on HP DL3xx Gen8 servers newly provisioned w/ W2012r2 and the following is what I have found:

1. The problem is caused by the "HP Insight Management WBEM Provider for Windows".

2. WBEM generates these errors only when you have configured Microsoft NIC teams.

3. To resolve this issue, you can either not use teamed NIC's, or simply uninstall HP's WBEM provider and use the "HP Proliant Agentless Management Service".

4. HP support is totally clueless about the problems associated with their WBEM provider service.

Hope this simple post saves other admins a lot of grief.

Friday, April 25, 2014 11:43 AM