none
Windows Server 2012 Disk Limit Issue

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have recently purchased a HP N54L microserver and installed Windows Server 2012. The issue I have is I have installed a 3TB hard drive however after installing Windows Server 2012 to it the volume shows up as 2TB (and the Disk shows as 3TB).

I have tried to create a new volume for the remaining 1TB however have not been successful, am I missing something?

I really do not want to reinstall it and partition the hard drive from the beginning

any help is appreciated

Monday, February 11, 2013 9:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Alexander -

For disks in excess of 2TB total size, you will need to initialise the disk with the GUID Partition Table, otherwise you will never be able to utilise beyond the 2TB limit due to addressing limitations.

Please refer to this Microsoft Article, which gives you full details.

Unfortunately, if you have already installed the OS to this disk, I do not believe you will be able to convert the disk (unless this has changed in Server 2012). You may need to either re-install the OS or, if you've already put considerable time into your installation, perhaps image it, re-initialise the disk, then write the image back - assuming you have some suitable software to do this.

Sorry the news is not better! I fell foul to this problem myself when installing a large storage server about a year ago.

Best regards,
    Simon.

Monday, February 11, 2013 2:40 PM

All replies

• what is the error you are seeing while trying to create volume in rest 1 TB volume?

Regards

Satish

Monday, February 11, 2013 11:17 AM
  • Hi Alexander -

For disks in excess of 2TB total size, you will need to initialise the disk with the GUID Partition Table, otherwise you will never be able to utilise beyond the 2TB limit due to addressing limitations.

Please refer to this Microsoft Article, which gives you full details.

Unfortunately, if you have already installed the OS to this disk, I do not believe you will be able to convert the disk (unless this has changed in Server 2012). You may need to either re-install the OS or, if you've already put considerable time into your installation, perhaps image it, re-initialise the disk, then write the image back - assuming you have some suitable software to do this.

Sorry the news is not better! I fell foul to this problem myself when installing a large storage server about a year ago.

Best regards,
    Simon.

Monday, February 11, 2013 2:40 PM