none
ipconfig \registerdns not working

Question

• Hello, 

We had our main server crash and had to remove it from active directory manually.  Our second server was the global catalog - that server is functioning fine.  I used the following directions to remove the failed server (basically just use ntdsutil and then delete failed dc from DNS /active directory) :

http://www.petri.co.il/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 on the only remaining domain controller.  We are having some problems with the server registering the dns using ipconfig /registernds.  Additionally, when I run dcdiag, there are connectivity issues.  I am very new to all of this and could use some advice as to what the problem might be.

Here is the output from ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lcg

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : pcl.princeton.edu

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : pcl.princeton.edu

princeton.edu

Ethernet adapter PCL Intranet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : pcl.princeton.edu

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-B9-42-D3-77

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.111.5(Preferred) 

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.111.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.111.5

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Here is the output from dcdiag \v indicating the error

Directory Server Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:

Trying to find home server...

* Verifying that the local machine lcg, is a Directory Server. 
       Home Server = lcg

* Connecting to directory service on server lcg.

* Identified AD Forest. 
       Collecting AD specific global data 
       * Collecting site info.

Calling ldap_search_init_page(hld,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=pcl,DC=princeton,DC=edu,LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE,(objectCategory=ntDSSiteSettings),.......
       The previous call succeeded 
       Iterating through the sites 
       Looking at base site object: CN=NTDS Site Settings,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=pcl,DC=princeton,DC=edu
       Getting ISTG and options for the site
       * Identifying all servers.

Calling ldap_search_init_page(hld,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=pcl,DC=princeton,DC=edu,LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE,(objectClass=ntDSDsa),.......
       The previous call succeeded....
       The previous call succeeded
       Iterating through the list of servers 
       Getting information for the server CN=NTDS Settings,CN=LCG,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=pcl,DC=princeton,DC=edu 
       objectGuid obtained
       InvocationID obtained
       dnsHostname obtained
       site info obtained
       All the info for the server collected
       * Identifying all NC cross-refs.

* Found 1 DC(s). Testing 1 of them.

Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\LCG

Starting test: Connectivity

* Active Directory LDAP Services Check
             The host 91d43330-1e7c-43bb-9f8d-549c63fd6f87._msdcs.pcl.princeton.edu

could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP,

server name, etc.

Got error while checking LDAP and RPC connectivity. Please check your

firewall settings.

......................... LCG failed test Connectivity

Here is the output from ipconfig /registerdns
    Windows IP Configuration

Registration of DNS records failed: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.  Thanks for your help.
    -Andrew

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the help.  I think I finally found the problem this morning.  There was a setting in our Group Policy which didn't allow dynamic DNS registration.  Once I disabled the policy everything worked as expected.  Thanks very much for all of your help - I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Andrew

Friday, June 18, 2010 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

make sure the DHCP client service is started and set to automatic, it is required for DNS registration.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your help.  We have DHCP service installed and configured for IPV4.  Do we need to configure IPV6 as well?  

Thanks,

Andrew

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:05 PM
  • Hello,

i am not talking about the "DHCP SERVER service", i am talking about the "DHCP CLIENT service" that must be started on each domain machine under Start, Run, type "services.msc" without the quotes.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks again for your help.  Yes, the DHCP client service is started and set to automatic.  Do you have any other suggestions?  

Thanks,

Andrew

Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:04 PM
  • >>>some problems with the server registering the dns using ipconfig /registernd

What issues are you experiencing?

Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Hi,

The ipconfig /registerdns is not working.  Here is the output from ipconfig /registerdns:

Windows IP Configuration

Registration of DNS records failed: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciate.  Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Hello,

if you use another account then the administrator, even if domain admin or higher, use an elevated command prompt(RUNAS) and try again.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your help.  I am using the administrator account, but I tried using an elevated command prompt and got the same result.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Do you have any other error messages in the event log?
    Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:40 PM
  • For the DNS events, we have a lot of "information events" similar to this:

The DNS server encountered a bad packet from 192.168.111.1. Packet processing leads beyond packet length. The event data contains the DNS packet.

Where 192.168.111.1 is our router. 

The DHCP server has the following:

This computer has at least one dynamically assigned IPv6 address.For reliable DHCPv6 server operation, you should use only static IPv6 addresses.

Otherwise we don't have anything that looks unusual. 

Thanks for your help.

-Andrew

Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Hello,

do you use forwarders and is the router listed there with other external DNS servers? Please run the following support tools:

dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:dcname >c:\dcdiag.txt
    repadmin /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite >c:\repl.txt (if more then one DC exists)
    dnslint /ad /s "DCipaddress" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321045)

As the output will become large, DON'T post them into the thread, please use Windows Sky Drive. Also the dcdiag scans the complete forest so better run it on COB.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Hi,

It’s DHCP client service. Please refer to the article below:

Dynamic DNS updates do not work if the DHCP client service stops
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264539

If the DHCP client is up, please make sure you have tried all steps in the article " Delete Failed DCs from Active Directory".

If still no progress, let us know where did you run the ipconfig command?

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the help.  I think I finally found the problem this morning.  There was a setting in our Group Policy which didn't allow dynamic DNS registration.  Once I disabled the policy everything worked as expected.  Thanks very much for all of your help - I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Andrew

Friday, June 18, 2010 1:35 PM

• Glad to hear you have found the root cause and resolved the problem. If you have more questions in the future, you’re welcomed to this forum.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Would anyone happen to know where I might find this group policy setting?
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Hello,

are you aware that this thread is 2 years old? Better create your own one the next time. For the DNS GPO settings please see the right pane under:

Computer configuration, windows settings, administrative templates, network, dns client

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Meinolf,

This 2 year old thread helped me resolve my problem as well. It was a lifesaver! Thank you very much for posting the details on the GPO setting as well. That saved me time as well.

Friday, October 12, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Mee to. Thanks at all. Works fine ;-) also with 2012 Core Server

Roendi

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Had the same issue when ipconfig /registerdns failed with error:

"Registration of DNS records failed: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation"

Group policy DNS Client->Dynamic Update was in "Not configured" state. I changed state to "Enable" and ipconfig /registerdns succeed. Thanks for advice :)

Friday, April 19, 2013 8:40 AM