Task Manager error - the task image is corrupt or has been tampered

Question

• Team,

I configured a task on my Windows Server 2008 DC which includes a script to run and send out the success/failure of the task on an email address, the task works fine for couple of days but suddenly from last 2 days if I open a task manager console on my DC it throws an error saying " the task image is corrupt or has been tampered .<task name which I configured>, I tried finding that task so that i can delete it but couldn’t able to find in the console.

Can someone please help me out with the issue here as this is a DC which is very critical to our environment.

Thanks

Inderjit
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:48 AM

All replies

• Team,

I configured a task on my Windows Server 2008 DC which includes a script to run and send out the success/failure of the task on an email address, the task works fine for couple of days but suddenly from last 2 days if I open a task manager console on my DC it throws an error saying " the task image is corrupt or has been tampered .<task name which I configured>, I tried finding that task so that i can delete it but couldn’t able to find in the console.

Can someone please help me out with the issue here as this is a DC which is very critical to our environment.

Thanks

Inderjit

• Proposed as answer by maganatt Friday, July 17, 2009 6:01 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:01 PM
  • try going to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks
    do a search for the name of your task and delete the key

also look under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree
    if you see a tree with your task name delete it also

open task scheduler and your error should be gone
    • Proposed as answer by Razvan Stefan Monday, November 09, 2009 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:47 PM
  • Do you know why this happens as we have had the same issue happen across random servers.
    Friday, September 04, 2009 12:13 AM
  • Did this solve the problem? I have the same problem with the Forefront DTS package.  I tried renaming these registry entry's but it did not let me!

Thanks

Paul

Friday, September 04, 2009 9:48 AM
  • no, i don't know why it happens. i came across the same issue on one of my servers
    Friday, September 04, 2009 12:48 PM
  • Worked for me, deleted the Keys from  \Tasks and \Tree. I have encountered the problem after faild to create a task tha was intended to run through a system account. Apparently the user was not accepted and the task failed.

To solve the problem permanently I disabled the Network access: Do not allow storage of credentials or .NET Passports for network authentification from Local Security Policies > Security Options.

Hope this helps.

Thanks &
    Regards,
    Razvan

• Proposed as answer by James Szivos Friday, December 11, 2009 6:59 PM
    Monday, November 09, 2009 9:45 AM
  • This worked like a charm - thanks!

Also check the C:\Windows\Tasks tree on the system drive for more remnants.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 5:09 PM