none
hyper-v networking woes

Question

•  

Hi guys... I'm trying to get Hyper-V to work on 2008 and am running into multiple difficulties with the networking.

First run/installation I created a Vista VM to test things out.. Vista installed flawlessly but there was no network adapter visible within the OS.  So, I played around with creating an adapter in "Virtual Network Manager" and tried assigning one to Vista... still didn't see it...

I tried a few different variations of adapters in the "Virtual Network Manager" and eventually deleted them out of there after nothing worked.  Here is my first problem.... Although everything is cleared out of the virtual network manager, I still have MANY adapters installed under device manager....

Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Adapter #2 #3 #4 and #5

No matter what I try, I cannot remove them!  That is the first problem I would like to resolve.... not sure how to remove these things even when they're cleared out of Hyper-V.

I tried removing the role and reinstalling it and they're still there... but now I have created a 2nd problem... When I try to go into the virtual network manager I get an error indicating the "Msvm_VirtualSwitchManagementService" object was not found... with error:  "There was an error enumerating the machine's network switches.  Make sure the Microsoft Hyper-V networking service is installed and working properly."

So, I verified all the services are running... "Microsft Hyper-V Image Mana..." "Microsoft Hyper-V Netowrking.." "Virtual Machine Management"

Not sure what to do at this point... 1) need to get rid of old adapters from previous installation... 2) would like to somehow setup a network adapter that actually works within VM...

Any assistance is greatly appreciated... thanks

Thursday, March 06, 2008 3:27 PM

Answers

• YES!  finally and it wasn't fun...

I found a series of keys in the registry that I could delete to get rid of the adapters.  I went back in the registry to see if the root folder was still there but it's gone so Unfortunately I'm not sure what it was called but it's located under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root

If you search for the exact name of the adapter in the registry you will see the keys...

The fun part is actually deleting them... there are lots of embedded keys and most of them have no owner or at least administrator doesn't have the ability to see it.  You have to take ownership of the key then add administrator to the permissions... then once u do that u will be able to see the keys under it and you can keep doing the same thing... there are about 50+ keys you need to delete (individually because of permissions!) in order to delete the entire set for the adapter.

I wish recursive claim ownership was possible to grab every key under it but unfortunately that does not work.. you need to claim ownership and add permission to a key in order to see what's under it.

Hyper-V causes way too many problems on my system... and after deleting 5 adapters from the registry in the way I described above I'm more than done with it.  I might try again on next release but I'm finding the vmware server 2.0 beta works VERY well on server 2008 so I'm using that for now.

Hope this helps!

Saturday, March 08, 2008 3:43 PM
  • I used subinacl (a free microsoft tool) to change the permissions on the keys.

For each 0000, 0001, etc. in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\ run the following line (in a bat file or like):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\subinacl" /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0000 /grant=administrators=f

After this, the keys (0000, 0001, etc) can be deleted, and the intefaces will go away:)
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, August 18, 2008 1:56 AM
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:42 PM

All replies

•  

Okay more notes on current installation...

Hyper-V-Network is starting but eventually craps out... Even viewer reveals:

"Unable to open handle to switch driver, error = 2147942402"

and another

"Network WMI provider service failed to start, error = 2147942402"

Thursday, March 06, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Hmmm... to be honest, I would take the Windows 2008 DVD and reinstall the complete server, add the Hyper-V role and start all over again. Maybe you can save the VHD for later use.

Did you use Vista SP1 for this? If you having difficulties using the NIC please add a legacy adapter, this will work for sure. Also, if you create a WIndows 2008 VM (either X86 of X64) it should use the default (synthetic) NIC the first time. Make sure that you install the Integration Components, but it should be selected default (check this).

Kind regards

Jaap Wesselius

Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Unfortunately I don't think complete server reinstallation is going to be a viable solution at this point... I spent many hours/days configuring Exchange 2007 on this server and don't want to lose that work.

The installation of Vista x86 I attempted with the original installation was straight from DVD no updates installed at all....

I'm starting to think Hyper-V is not going to work well in its current development stage... That's fine.. I will use a different virtualization product but I would like to at least be able to remove the dormant network adapters... can I at least have assistance with that?

Thanks

Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:09 PM
  • We have Hyper-V running fine for a couple of weeks now with VM's ranging from NT4 Server to Windows 2008. It took some time to get the networking part correctly (not all OS'es have the correct drivers as you've seen) but I'm pretty confident. There will be an upgrade available to Hyper-V (RC) pretty soon now.

I'd love to help you on your networking issues, but I'm at the Sharepoint Conference in Seattle now with almost no access to my own lab. Flying home this afternoon and it's a pretty long flight so I won't be able to help you before somewhere this weekend of monday, I'm sorry.

Kind regards

Jaap

Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Hey Nick! Did you get this resolved? I am having the same problem... each time some removes the Hyper-V Role (I did this because my Virtual machines where unable to access the physical network), a connection remains on the host system and cannot be removed... Thanks for the reply, later man

Saturday, March 08, 2008 11:46 AM
  • YES!  finally and it wasn't fun...

I found a series of keys in the registry that I could delete to get rid of the adapters.  I went back in the registry to see if the root folder was still there but it's gone so Unfortunately I'm not sure what it was called but it's located under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root

If you search for the exact name of the adapter in the registry you will see the keys...

The fun part is actually deleting them... there are lots of embedded keys and most of them have no owner or at least administrator doesn't have the ability to see it.  You have to take ownership of the key then add administrator to the permissions... then once u do that u will be able to see the keys under it and you can keep doing the same thing... there are about 50+ keys you need to delete (individually because of permissions!) in order to delete the entire set for the adapter.

I wish recursive claim ownership was possible to grab every key under it but unfortunately that does not work.. you need to claim ownership and add permission to a key in order to see what's under it.

Hyper-V causes way too many problems on my system... and after deleting 5 adapters from the registry in the way I described above I'm more than done with it.  I might try again on next release but I'm finding the vmware server 2.0 beta works VERY well on server 2008 so I'm using that for now.

Hope this helps!

Saturday, March 08, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Thanks for the post Nick! I was about to do the same, but I am not so sure if Windows likes manipulating Hardware settings using the registry.. Smile I think I better wait for hotfixes of Hyper-V. I'm sure the MS guys are working on it.. (If they're not: MS guys, your weekend is cancelled!)

Have a great weekend! Greetings from Switzerland

Saturday, March 08, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Vista as a VM currently requires a Legacy Network Adapter (emulated versus synthetic) as the integration components for Vista are not out yet.

And when you say that you have Exchange running on the server - you do mean that you are running Exchange in a VM?? (I hope I hope)  And not on the WS08 with Hyper-V server itself..

Saturday, March 08, 2008 8:37 PM
  •  

No sir... whole reason for setting up the server was exchange and it is running in the parent OS... Why would I run it in a VM???  You mean install WS08 then another VM of WS08 inside and run Exchange on that?  seems like a waste of resources???

I have still been unable to get Hyper-V to work... after other attempts to add the role again the Hyper-V network service would start and immediately fail...

Saturday, March 08, 2008 8:44 PM
  • MSFT does not recommend installing any applications on the parent partition of a Hyper-V server.

Once you install the Hyper-V role - you essentially change the server itself, how it behaves, how it functions.

The installation of the role literally turns your WS08 server into a Parent partition (it becomes DOM0) and modifies how that partition interacts with everything else (hardware, etc.)

It is not just a Windows server anymore - it is fundamentally something different.  You can't think of it as taking a fiel server and adding print services, or an application server and adding another application.

And yes, why wouldn't you run Exchange as a VM? 

There anre many ways to present disk resources.

There are many organizations that have virtualized Exchange and SQL for DR / redundancy, clustering purposes on 'unsupported' hypervisors and they run just fine.

Saturday, March 08, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Hi Nick.

Thanks for the tip.  I wrote a batch file take ownership and then grant full permissions to each key so that I could delete each adapter (tree of registry keys).  I only had to search and replace on the adapter number \0000\  and \0001\  ,etc as that appears in the register as the rest of the registry tree was identical.  Worked great and now my network config is back to the 2 physical adapters installed. 

That was fun  :-)

Cheers

Rob 

Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:46 AM
  • Hi Rob

Can you post the batch file? Seems there is no other way around than modding the Registry Sad

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:28 AM
  • I used subinacl (a free microsoft tool) to change the permissions on the keys.

For each 0000, 0001, etc. in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\ run the following line (in a bat file or like):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\subinacl" /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0000 /grant=administrators=f

After this, the keys (0000, 0001, etc) can be deleted, and the intefaces will go away:)
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, August 18, 2008 1:56 AM
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Whow !

I was having the same kind of trouble with the final version !

Your script will save me precious time, thank you very very much, for real.
    Friday, August 15, 2008 11:41 PM
  • I have same troubles too. Thanks Rasmus - script works fine. Now I have another question: how reinstall network for virtual machines after successful uninstall all virtual swithes?
    Andrey
    Friday, August 22, 2008 9:53 AM
  • I was having the same problem but managed to fix it...well at least I now have ip communications. I've tryied to fix it by uninstalling IPV4 and then reinstall it with no success. In order to get the NIC working again I've had to use DEVCON. Listed all the NICs (devcon listclass net) and then remove them (devcon remove "listed adapters").

Reboot and that's it.

Well at least I've got the NIC working again but still have the same problem that got me here.

When I try the virtual network manager in the Hyper-v Manager MMC it reports an error stating that " There was an error enumerating the machine's network switches. Make sure the Hyper-v networking service is installed and working properly. You might not have permission to perform this task. "

I've had Hyper-v virtual network working before and out of nothing it started to report this error. Now I have 2 windows 2008 server core with 2 VMs in each working on cluster and still working with the 2 NIC adapters for each one. But everytime I try to add a new virtual machine I cannot add more than 1 NIC.

The good news is that my infrastructure is still in test environment.

Any ideas?

Ilidio
    Monday, January 12, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Nevermind...fixed this by installing the kb950050-x64 on the windows server core. Now I have another problem...today was a perfect day to stay at home :) ...now the VMs don't start at all...they report an error stating 'virtual machine name' failed to initialize. or in case of a rollback it states 'virtual machine name' failed to restore. Any ideas? I've found some info on the web that suggested to change de NTFS permissions on the virtual machines folders giving the Virtual Machines group full control to that folder and parent directories. Already tried that with no success at all.

I'm starting to feel like I'm living in a mesh of problems with the hyper-v and the server core... :S

Any help would be appreciated.

Ilidio
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Re: "Once you install the Hyper-V role - you essentially change the server itself, how it behaves, how it functions."

This video explains it: Hyper-V Architecture Demonstration Video
    Tony Soper
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Deleting default networking setup and hacking regkeys is a sub-optimal route to go.
    The network manager control panel aggregates IPV4 and IPV6 settings and other things together. There is now a free command-line tool available from Microsoft that lets you view and change network settings (not just on server core, but most handy for core admins) NVSPBIND.EXE

Tony Soper
    • Proposed as answer by tonyso Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:34 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:33 PM
  • I have tried this "subinacl" solution but it gives me error when I run it.

I'm running the command under administrator privileges.

System:

Windows 2008 R2 + patches.

Here's the ouput:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>subinacl.exe /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\
    Root\VMS_MP\0001 /grant=administrators=f
    SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0001 : new ace for builtin\administrators
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0001 - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is denied.

SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0001\LogConf : new ace for builtin\administrators
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0001\LogConf - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is denied.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0001\Properties - AddAce error : 87 The parameter is incorrect.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0001\Properties: 5 : Unable to enumerate subkeys
    SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0001\Control : new ace for builtin\administrators
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0001\Control - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is denied.

Elapsed Time: 00 00:00:00
    Done:        4, Modified        0, Failed        4, Syntax errors        0
    Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0001\Control
    Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\VMS_MP\0001\Control - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access
    is denied.

Any ideas why I can't set the permissions?

Thanks,

Monday, November 08, 2010 7:20 PM
  • The easiest way to whack registry keys that are owned by system is to run regedit as system

http://forum.sysinternals.com/tip-run-process-in-system-account-scexe_topic16714.html

cmd /c sc create -- binPath= "cmd /c start  \"\" \"C:\windows\regedit.exe\"" type= own type= interact & net start --

On Windows 2008R2 you'll get a dialog but it will work

Monday, April 09, 2012 9:19 PM
  • The fun part is actually deleting them... there are lots of embedded keys and most of them have no owner or at least administrator doesn't have the ability to see it.  You have to take ownership of the key then add administrator to the permissions... then once u do that u will be able to see the keys under it and you can keep doing the same thing... there are about 50+ keys you need to delete (individually because of permissions!) in order to delete the entire set for the adapter.

A simple way to do that is to run regedit.exe as System. I launch this command line from an admin command prompt:

c:\tool\SysinternalsSuite\PsExec.exe -s -i regedit.exe

The psexec exec tool allow to run as system (the -s param) any software.

Hope that helps futur readers

Paying back the community for its help by writing articles :
    Have a Nice Day.Net Blog

Monday, July 29, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Hi !

you have to install integration disk to integrate network adapter to VM,

to do this, click Action-insert integration service setup disk in that virtual machine.

-Vkp

Monday, July 29, 2013 7:49 AM