none
Autodesk 2011/2012 Direct3D issue with RemoteFX (RDVH)

Question

• I don't know if anyone has tested RemoteFX with Autodesk software.  For Autocad, I can not turn on 3D hardware acceleration (Direct3D).  The problem is that Autocad does not see "Microsoft RemoteFX graphics device WDDM" installed on VM.  Therefore it is using software mode which is much slower and consume more CPU.   Revit 2012 hardware acceleration (Direct3D) mode does not work.  Some of the material mappings were missing and rotating 3D model really messed up.   3dsMax Design 2012 hardware acceleration has performance issue too.  Rotating large 3d model is barely reponsive and quite choppy.   It's a total failure for Autodesk products with hardware acceleration.   The only app that seems to be working is Google Earth with DirectX.  Although it's nice to have full aero and smooth playback of multimedia, CAD software with hardware acceleration through vGPU is our primary focus.  RemoteFX has failed us if Autodesk products can't use this technology.  Does anyone have any success with 3D acceleration on Autodesk products with RemoteFX? 

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I understand that a Autodesk application running in a VM in Windows 2008 R2 SP1 enable Hyper-V role and it’s also enable Remote FX. You connect to the VM via Remote Desktop Connection.

1.         Whether you have install the RemoteFX cap driver before add RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter in Remote Desktop Virtualization Host server.

1)      From an elevated command prompt, type
    dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-RemoteFX-EmbeddedVideoCap-Setup-Package, and then press ENTER.

2)      After the command has completed successfully, restart the Remote Desktop Virtualization Host server.

2.         Whether you have selected LAN (10MBps or higher) and all checkboxes in Remote Desktop Connection—Experience.

3.         Please refer to the following article:

Deploying Microsoft RemoteFX for Personal Virtual Desktops Step-by-Step Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817611(WS.10).aspx

Technology changes life……
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:08 AM
  • I have done all those steps.  I know my remoteFX RDP session are working confirmed with Event ID 2.

Everything seems to work except when it comes to Autodesk Applications.

- Crysis game .... checked

- Playing 1080p smoothly ... checked

- Full Aero Experience ... checked

What Microsoft claimed with RemotefX too is that it can provide vGPU to a VM.  This vGPU can have access directly to the Host server GPU and shareable to other VMs within the same host.  As long as the applications support DirectX/Direct3D then this RemoteFX vGPU should be able to handle.   So why none of the Autodesk products unalbe to use this vGPU?  I know Autodesk products still can launch and workable but they're using 100% CPU resources instead offload some part to vGPU.   My questions are ..

Does Autodesk need to have some kind of updates in order to reconize and work correctly with this vGPU that Microsoft claimed it's Direct3D capable?

or

Does Microsoft needs to do something else to make this vGPU available to more applications beside testing it only with Google Earth?

I'm just trying to understand.  I can guaranteed you that RemoteFX is not going anywhere if Autodesk products do not take advantage of this technology.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:55 PM
  • It might be more of a bug or "feature" of AutoCAD 2012 than a bug in RemoteFX.

Did you get the latest drivers from Nvidia for Quadro or AMD for FirePro?

Did you install the DirectX user runtime (not the same as the built in DirectX 11) ?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3b170b25-abab-4bc3-ae91-50ceb6d8fa8d

Someone else attempted what you're doing and posted an example of this possible bug in AutoCAD on Youtube.  Even tried some override settings for 3D in the application and it crashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBVsl75lMZ0

I just read a press release from AutoDesk that they certified Citrix's products for their apps.  I guess they forgot to certify RemoteFX from what I can see in the YouTube clip.

Friday, April 29, 2011 3:11 AM
  • It might be more of a bug or "feature" of AutoCAD 2012 than a bug in RemoteFX.

Did you get the latest drivers from Nvidia for Quadro or AMD for FirePro?

Did you install the DirectX user runtime (not the same as the built in DirectX 11) ?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3b170b25-abab-4bc3-ae91-50ceb6d8fa8d

Someone else attempted what you're doing and posted an example of this possible bug in AutoCAD on Youtube.  Even tried some override settings for 3D in the application and it crashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBVsl75lMZ0

I just read a press release from AutoDesk that they certified Citrix's products for their apps.  I guess they forgot to certify RemoteFX from what I can see in the YouTube clip.

I was the author of that AutoCAD video.  I was unable to get AutoCAD to 'see' the drivers properly, thus the lack of hardware acceleration/performance.  I am waiting for AutoDesk to 'Approve' the 'hardware'.  I have tried many different configurations, using many different cards.  The video card I used in the video is an RemotFX approved card (ATI FirePro V7800).  The card also has dedicated AutoCAD drivers when used in a standard workstation.  I will keep trying until it works, there are many clients out there looking for this to work.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Just wanted to see if anyone had any more luck with this setup.

Thanks,

-Tim

Friday, March 09, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Tim,

I am curently working with Engineers from Dell, Nvidia, & AutoCAD on this same issue.  When we come to a resolution I'll try to remember to repost here

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:18 PM
  •  

You resposne is much awaited with fingers crossed. I've was about to purchase 2GB VRAM DD5 graphics card(ATI Radeon series although unofficialy not in compatible list like ATI firepro seires for remoteFX but works as per many Youtube vidoes) just so that to offload my 3dsmax and 3d games(heroes of might and magic VI) processing from my notebook to a dedicated workstation with hopes on RemoteFX :)

Shahid Roofi

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Wow this issue is a year old and it's not fixed yet???
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:57 PM
  • Just tested this entire situation with the following,

Windows Server 2012 Host equipped with Nvidia Quadro 4000.  Running Windows 8 Drivers. Remote FX enabled

VM's Tested both Windows 8 and Windows 7

Tested Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013 which included Autocad Mechanical 2013 and Inventor 2013.  Both products seem to be using the software driver (no hardware acceleration) which produces terrible performance.  When enabling hardware acceleration which switches over to the RemoteFX driver the Inventor and Autocad instantly crash and are unable to start until reverting back to the non-remote FX driver basically, turning off hardware acceleration.

A great use for Remote FX would be for farming out complex applications like Autocad for light use employees such as engineers.  The reasoning for this is they are not full time designers and only need ocational access to the program.  These massive programs can consume 25 gigs of storage space when installed and can reduce overall performance on any computer.  It is not our intention to switch our full-time designers to this however as stated for light use it be an interesting option.  That said, even with the latest RemoteFX - Server 2012 and latest offerings from Autodesk this still does not seem to work.

• Edited by Cerw1n Monday, September 17, 2012 9:09 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 9:06 PM
  • I forgot to re-post as I said I would but I worked with several engineers on this issue and It boils down to the fact that AutoCAD simply does not support Remote FX using hardware acceleration...it crashes.  I have asked the question when will it be supported from AutoDesk and I get nothing back from them...a little disappointing.  So we have decided that we can use this solution for casual and 2D AutoCAD users but the 3D users are getting Precision workstations.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 5:47 PM
  • We ended up using Citrix for our Autocad and Revit customers needing hardware acceleration.  Hopefully Autodesk will come around and support RemoteFX soon.

Virtual-Q

Monday, September 24, 2012 5:52 PM
  • I am working on the same issue - virtualization and CAD (AutoCAD, Tribon, SmartMarine 3D). Recently tested XenApp, XenDesktop and Server 2012 with Hyper-V + Nvidia Quadro 4000 and Windows 8 virtual machines.

The result - XenApp is OK with AutoCAD. However we use AutoCAD LT and it is not compatible with XenApp - limited to 2 Acad instances only. No suitable licensing for it.

Hyper-v / Windows 8

The server CPU is E3-1230 , 8 GB memory, Quadro 4000 w 2GB ( I am using a workstation installed with Server 2012 for testing)

Virtual machine with 3 virtual processors and 2 GB memory

Case 1. Install RemoteFX adapter and configure it for 1 monitor and any resolution - > AutoCAD complains about the size of video card memory - application error and turning off the hardware acceleration

Case 2. Install RemoteFX adapter and configure it for 2 monitors and max resolution -> AutoCAD allows to turn ON the hardware acceleration but complains it is not certified. With complex drawings , zoom & pan are not quite smooth.

Case 3. Remove the RemoteFX adapter - AutoCAD does not recognize the type and amount of video memory. Hardware acceleration is turned on although not certified video. Pan and Zoom are quite smooth almoust like local experience.

The questions:

* is the poor graphical performance in case 2 due to video memory limitation in remoteFX adapter ?

* is there any limitation in the other video card resources based on single virtual machine remoteFX usage?

* if Quadro 5000 or 6000 is used instead , would it provide better performance in a single virtual machine ?

May we have technical solution that share the available graphic card resorces equaly among the virtual machines that need such resources instead of limiting the powr of remoteFX to a small fraction of the GPU regardless how many remoteFX based machines are operating. 

• Proposed as answer by mminchev Friday, October 19, 2012 3:04 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sharing the case study.

I would follow these questions. When I get some information update, I will post here.

Technology changes life……

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Hi

We are also testing Autocad using Microsoft 2012 RemoteFX with Nvidia Grid K2 cards. And, Solidworks, office apps everything works great, but not AutoCad.We are seeing a sluggish mouse responses, noticeable delays up to one second.

This is in spite of the success story published by Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?casestudyid=710000001661

Anybody here, was able to run successfully with remotefx adapter installed in VDI mode recently?

thanks

Ali

• Edited by GridK2 Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:33 PM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Yes...I have deployed AutoCAD VDI's sucessfully, without issue...except for as stated above 3D AutoCAD performance is poor due to lack of accelleration support by AutoCAD.  So, for people who are heavy 3D users they get Precision workstations, for the 2D users and light editors they get a VDI ( and they love it), and for the reviewers they just get a remote App to the viewing program.  I've never seen performance as poor as what you state in your post.

Just so everyone understands how much I like the solution...I made my personal desktop the 1st production VDI and I'm still using my VDI over my aging Precision 690 workstation.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Has there been any recent development?

I want to set up a machine with Hyper-V for several applications (Xilinx ISE, Altium Designer, and Autodesk Inventor), but his only makes sense if RemoteFX is finally supported by Inventor.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:36 AM
  • We upgraded to Autocad 14 and still no support for RemoteFX, people still use the AutoCad VDI's but mouse performance is sluggish at best.  We have deployed another 48 VDI's for various other uses and those work great.  I am still running these on 2008 R2 hyper-v so I think I may upgrade the box to 2012 R2 and rebuild the VDI's as Gen 2 VM's with vhdx drives which should boost the performance of the VM's, but i'm not expecting the upgrade to be a solution to the AutoCad sluggishness, but users may be happier with it.

My opinion is AutCad in a VDI = fail...anything else in a VDI = :-) 

Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:24 PM