none
Windows 2012 Upgrade From Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V

Question

• Hi,

i have Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V server that host 3 VM . I`m trying to make an in place upgrade to windows 2012 standard.

i insert the cd of the windows 2012 and in the screen of "install now" i get this error:

"Windows was unable to create a required  instillation folder. error code 0x80004005"

i have at list  20 GB free space and i`m administrator so i don't think is a permission problem.

thanks in advenced

Itzik

Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:02 AM

Answers

• You will get a much cleaner system if you do a fresh install of 2012.

Are you using anything like folder shares or iSCSI on your host? - if so does the account you're attempting to do the upgrade with have access to these? Same question with any non-OS drives you have installed. It sounds like a permissions or space issue.

Also note that if you don't override it, an upgrade will usually attempt to create a partition size equal to your ram (as ws2012 does on any install) - which in your case sounds like it will be larger than the free space you have available.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

What’s the edition of your Windows Server 2008 R2? Is that Windows Server 2008 R2 standard Edition?

We cannot perform an in-place upgrade from any pre-RTM builds of Windows Server 2012 (like the Release Preview build) to the RTM build. Depending on the role you are running, an upgrade would be blocked from being performed. As an example, having Failover Clustering as an added role in Windows 2008 R2 will block an upgrade.

And for a clean installation of Windows Server 2012, the disk requirement is 32 GB. You may run prepare more disk space for the installation.

> do you think that fresh install will be more quick and simple?

If Hyper-V is the only server role, I think a fresh installation is better.

> shulde i copy the vhd files to another location and after installing the windows 2012
    > server i just will need to copy theme back and build a vm from file?

In Windows Server 2012, you can directly import virtual machine with export them first. So if you make sure all the VM data are not stored in system disk, you don’t need to export them.

But for data security reason, it’s better to export these 3 VMs.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Upgrading to Windows Server 2012 – Part 1
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/10/23/upgrading-to-windows-server-2012-part-1.aspx
    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099
    Unable to create folder" error when trying to install Windows 7
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/3621e8cf-b2ce-479b-beac-08acc435a856

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:44 AM

All replies

• Why on earth do you want to do an in-place upgrade...

Start fresh!

--
    Goran Johansson
    http://gjohansson.com/blog

• Proposed as answer by G Johansson Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:56 PM
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Way not.

in the first place i just needed to add more vm but than  i realize that windows 2008 r2 standard is supporting only 32 gig mem.

so what other option do i have.  except  to buy an enterprise edition which will cost me around 2400 $.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 2:14 PM
  • You will get a much cleaner system if you do a fresh install of 2012.

Are you using anything like folder shares or iSCSI on your host? - if so does the account you're attempting to do the upgrade with have access to these? Same question with any non-OS drives you have installed. It sounds like a permissions or space issue.

Also note that if you don't override it, an upgrade will usually attempt to create a partition size equal to your ram (as ws2012 does on any install) - which in your case sounds like it will be larger than the free space you have available.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi Melakh,

thanks for your replay .

i don't use any folder share and not using iscsi configuration. i`m using the administrator account which have a full permission on this server.

i didn't came yet to the option to chose weather i wont clean install or upgrade .

do you think that fresh install will be more quick and simple?

shulde i copy the vhd files to another location and after installing the windows 2012 server i just will need to copy theme back and build a vm from file?

if my disk (Raid 5) is split to a number of virtual disks shulde i reformat the boot disk and install again the windows 2012 server and then just connect the other vhd to new vm?

sorry for the all question

Sunday, March 10, 2013 9:19 PM
  • Hi,

What’s the edition of your Windows Server 2008 R2? Is that Windows Server 2008 R2 standard Edition?

We cannot perform an in-place upgrade from any pre-RTM builds of Windows Server 2012 (like the Release Preview build) to the RTM build. Depending on the role you are running, an upgrade would be blocked from being performed. As an example, having Failover Clustering as an added role in Windows 2008 R2 will block an upgrade.

And for a clean installation of Windows Server 2012, the disk requirement is 32 GB. You may run prepare more disk space for the installation.

> do you think that fresh install will be more quick and simple?

If Hyper-V is the only server role, I think a fresh installation is better.

> shulde i copy the vhd files to another location and after installing the windows 2012
    > server i just will need to copy theme back and build a vm from file?

In Windows Server 2012, you can directly import virtual machine with export them first. So if you make sure all the VM data are not stored in system disk, you don’t need to export them.

But for data security reason, it’s better to export these 3 VMs.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Upgrading to Windows Server 2012 – Part 1
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/10/23/upgrading-to-windows-server-2012-part-1.aspx
    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099
    Unable to create folder" error when trying to install Windows 7
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/3621e8cf-b2ce-479b-beac-08acc435a856

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

For now I decided to stay in the existing structure of the server (Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-v).
    I reduced the amount of memory on other servers so I cleared 6 GB memory to the new server.
    Thank you for your help.
      It seems to me that in the future I will do a clean installation of Windows 2012.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:06 AM