none
Server 2003 performance issues Help

Question

• Hello, thanks in advance for the help.  Here is my issue

I have a poweredge 2900 with dual core processor, 4gb RAM, 2 x 250gb Hard drive mirrored.  I'm running server 2003 r2 small business server 32bit.  I'm running symantec end point protection, ms exchange, ms sql, intuit quickbooks.  My system RAM is always running in the 80 - 90 % and performance is always an issue.   I have 5 users and need some advise as to solutions for upgrading.

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:34 AM

Answers

• you definitely need to upgrade, check task manager which application is taking most of the memory.

beside your spec is quite outdated, 4GB and a 250GB that machine may not be good enough to download files and other stuff over the net. (LOL just kidding)

for upgrading, consider which software you are using and check with the vendor or test it with the new OS (windows 2008 or 2012) 

check for compatibility issues, whether the software will run properly or not.

or you can convert the old machine to a virtual and deployed it to your new server.

it's your call to decide.

Good luck!

Every second counts..make use of it.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:16 PM

All replies

• For SBS I'd ask them over here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Jayawardhane Monday, May 13, 2013 9:34 AM
    Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:08 AM
  • you definitely need to upgrade, check task manager which application is taking most of the memory.

beside your spec is quite outdated, 4GB and a 250GB that machine may not be good enough to download files and other stuff over the net. (LOL just kidding)

for upgrading, consider which software you are using and check with the vendor or test it with the new OS (windows 2008 or 2012) 

check for compatibility issues, whether the software will run properly or not.

or you can convert the old machine to a virtual and deployed it to your new server.

it's your call to decide.

Good luck!

Every second counts..make use of it.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:16 PM